News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich 105 K wiring

Started by HarrySmith, January 26, 2011, 03:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarrySmith

I am currently working on a Leich Convertible model 105 K. I cannot locate a wiring diagram for it anywhere. Can anyone help?
Thanks
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phoniac

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 26, 2011, 03:15:41 PM
I am currently working on a Leich Convertible model 105 K. I cannot locate a wiring diagram for it anywhere. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Harry, I have a Leich diagram for the 100 series, hope this helps. Sorry it's not the best.

HarrySmith

Cool, looks like just what I need and clear enough to be useful. Thanks a lot :D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

This drawing says "100 Series" and I think there are 101's and 105's...maybe more. So it might depend on exactly what you are working on.....or maybe not?

Terry

Phoniac

Quote from: ae_collector on January 26, 2011, 05:50:24 PM
This drawing says "100 Series" and I think there are 101's and 105's...maybe more. So it might depend on exactly what you are working on.....or maybe not?

Terry
AE, This came out of a 105 I use to have that looks like desk set but hangs on the wall and was copied from the original. I'm assuming because what I got it out of and what it states it might be for all 100 series phones. For Harry's sake, lets hope so.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phoniac on January 26, 2011, 06:01:26 PM
AE, This came out of a 105 I use to have that looks like desk set but hangs on the wall and was copied from the original. I'm assuming because what I got it out of and what it states it might be for all 100 series phones. For Harry's sake, lets hope so.

If the drawing is from a 105 and Harry says he is working on a 105, all will likely turn out well. Just wanted to mention that there are different 10x model numbers but maybe the wiring is the same on them.

The wall/desk phone combo's are commonly called "convertibles". Leich was into that concept big time! Less stock for the small companies to keep in stock and in the trucks I guess. Not the most stylish phones out there but they probably weren't out of line for the era they were made in. ANd some of them come in some real neat colors!

Terry

Phoniac

AE, I wasn't aware that they were called convertibles. The one I had was the only one I've ever had. Sorry if I might have sounded short, that wasn't my intention at all. After all this time, I'm still learnin. Too many phones and not enough space or time.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Phoniac on January 26, 2011, 08:20:46 PM
Sorry if I might have sounded short, that wasn't my intention at all. After all this time, I'm still learnin. Too many phones and not enough space or time.

Huh? Didn't read that at all. Were all learning and we won't likely ever be finished.

I have a 105C very well dated 10-57. It is a nice light green color. I wonder if the letter following the model is a color code. AE used letters as wel las numbers to indicate the color and Leich was related to AE at this time.

GTE bought Leich Electric in November 1950 with Leich becoming GTE's main telephone equipment manufacturer. GTE bought out Theodore Garry & Company in October 1955, the company that owned Automatic Electric. Leich continued to operate independently of AE until it was consolidated into AE in 1962. During this seven years Leich continued to manufacture their own products but they also manufactured some AE products. Type 80 desk sets show up on ebay ever so often branded with "Leich Electric" on the baseplate.

What color is your 105K Harry?

Terry

HarrySmith

The one I have is black, I found one other on the web that is also black with the "K" designation. I also found one labeled "converta phone" here: http://www.ericofon.com/catalog/classic2/leich105w.htm. Mine is dated 6/55 and also has 16 2/3 stamped on the bottom. I am having trouble with the dial, it will break dialtone but I hear no pulses as it returns and then it reverts to dialtone. The wiring diagram matches mine 100%. If I move the contact I can see a spark which indicates to me the contact is making & breaking. The wiring is all correct and I am stumped.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phoniac

Harry, Have you checked the continuity of the wiring.  A break in a wire will give you an open.

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 26, 2011, 09:03:15 PM
The one I have is black, I found one other on the web that is also black with the "K" designation. I also found one labeled "converta phone" here: http://www.ericofon.com/catalog/classic2/leich105w.htm. Mine is dated 6/55 and also has 16 2/3 stamped on the bottom. I am having trouble with the dial, it will break dialtone but I hear no pulses as it returns and then it reverts to dialtone. The wiring diagram matches mine 100%. If I move the contact I can see a spark which indicates to me the contact is making & breaking. The wiring is all correct and I am stumped.

I suspect the "Converta-phone" name is just Richard Rose's marketing name for it although maybe he got it from some Leich promotional info.

I would also suspect that you'll be having ringer problems too as the 16 2/3 must have been refering to a frequency ringer. Maybe you'll be lucky and the ringer has been upgraded to a SL.

Are you certain that the dial is breaking dial tone and not just muting it really well when you turn the dial? If it is breaking dial tone then it shouldn't be giving you dial tone once the dial returns unless it is then pulling a new dial tone. Are the dial pulses somehow being shunted by the other contacts rather than jus tthe receiver?

Terry

HarrySmith

The ringer works, it is marked ASL, also the phone transmits and receives fine. I have not checked all the wires but I will. BTW it is an AE dial.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 26, 2011, 09:32:56 PM
The ringer works, it is marked ASL, also the phone transmits and receives fine. I have not checked all the wires but I will. BTW it is an AE dial.

Oh good, the ringer has been replaced. I'm not positive but I don't think that Leich ever made their own dials, they always seemed to have AE dials.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

I have one of those, and it is marked "105G" and dated 3-56.

Common causes of dial tone to return after dialing are improper spacing of the pulsing contacts or slow dial return.  If the pulsing contacts remain open for too long an interval, the CO (or PBX) will think that the phone has gone on-hook.

BTW, the handset on this phone is about the most uncomfortable handset to hold because the grip part is so thick.

Larry

AE_Collector

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on January 26, 2011, 10:02:17 PM
I have one of those, and it is marked "105G" and dated 3-56.

Larry

What color is your "G"...black also?

So far we have a black K andd a light green C.

Terry