News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WECO 551 Board Help

Started by Fabius, April 03, 2017, 06:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

I'm in contact with a guy who has this switchboard which I believe is a WECO 551 for sale. He sent the attached photos. Does it look complete? I'd like to be able to connect a few phones. It might need a power supply.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Weco355aman

It looks complete to me. any 1a2 key system power supply will work.
Phil

Fabius

Would there be terminal blocks at the bottom to connect incoming lines and trunks?
Or where? Thanks.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Victor Laszlo

As usual in cases like this, the most important photo is the one that is not included. That would the instruction plate that actually tells us what model board it is. No need to guess.  Just ask the seller what model it is, based on that plate. It appears to be a 552, which would not be useful, since it's technically not a PBX, but an answering position for a dial PBX. I base that opinion on the fact that there do not seem to be station lamps present.

If you can tell if there are station lamps associated with the station jacks, it's a 551. If it does not have station lamps, it's a 552. 

If there are alarm lamps, alarm cut-off keys and registers for FA, PS, RM, AFB, ATB, etc, at the top right of the jack panel, it's a 552.

The board's connections (either 551 or 552) are made via a cable that is soldered directly to the inner components of the board (station jacks, truck circuits, etc) and the other end (usually cannibalized by the person who disconnected the board) went to the basement or equipment room where it was terminated in an H chamber.

Worth $200 to a person who needs parts for a 551. Otherwise, not what you need to operate a few phones. Yes, it would need a power supply if it were a 551.

Fabius

Thanks for that information. The switchboard is on eBay and about 3 - 2 1/2 hours from me. The pictures are what the seller sent me plus one from his eBay item.
I'll ask him if he knows the model number.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

HarrySmith

What is the item number? Maybe we can identify his pictures?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Fabius

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 04, 2017, 06:23:08 PM
What is the item number? Maybe we can identify his pictures?

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Victor Laszlo

"I'll ask him if he knows the model number."

Probably more efficient to ask him to read what the instruction plate says and then tell you the model number.  Or ask him to send a close-up photo, in focus, with proper lighting, showing the instruction plate and the front of the board.

I just searched Ebay and could not find that board anywhere. Can you check the item number and re-transmit it for us? Thanks.

poplar1

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 05, 2017, 02:18:32 AM
That item number seems to be invalid.

Terry

When searching by item number for a completed auction, you have to check the "completed" (or "sold") box on bottom left of the page.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Operator-Switchboard-ATT-/382026192887
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Fabius

Quote from: poplar1 on April 05, 2017, 11:37:36 AM
When searching by item number for a completed auction, you have to check the "completed" (or "sold") box on bottom left of the page.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Operator-Switchboard-ATT-/382026192887

That's it.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

HarrySmith

A little light on the subject might aid in identification! Very poor photos.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

Is everyone else seeing $12.67 EXPEDITED Shipping on this? Such a deal!

Terry

HarrySmith

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 05, 2017, 02:33:29 PM
Is everyone else seeing $12.67 EXPEDITED Shipping on this? Such a deal!

Terry

I see $11.81! WOW!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

I'd cut the guy some slack and tell him to just go with Parcel Post for the same price but then I guess I am just a generous person!  ;)

I don't think the USPS has a suitable size Flat Rate Box available....

Terry

Fabius

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905