News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 51AL Cannot dial Out

Started by Doug Rose, May 30, 2016, 01:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

1. The R on the dial is not used, other than to be strapped to BB. So there should not be any other wire(s) there.

2. Since you and Bill have found (albeit different) ways of connecting a factory wired phone directly to the line (Bill uses green and yellow; I believe you connect two of the wires together at the connecting block, and the other wire to the other side of the line), then I would guess you are trying to wire the 50AL as it was originally wired, other than the missing subset.

3. In the original wiring, only the dial cord is connected to the back of the rack. From the photo, those appear to be on the correct terminals. There is a color-coded diagram here:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13697.msg143399#msg143399

4. 3-conductor cord (from subset or wall):
Yellow to Y terminal on front (hookswitch side) of rack  [This is just a junction point]
Green to GN terminal "  "  of rack (same terminal has green receiver lead)
Red to the R hookswitch terminal

5. Receiver cord:
Green to GN terminal on front of rack (with green lead of 3-conductor)
White to W terminal on front of rack -- this is the bottom terminal, and has continuity with the screw terminal on the back where the white dial cord lead connects.

6. Dial cord:
Yellow to Y on dial <--------------------------> Y on back side of rack
Black to BK on dial <--------------------------> BK "   "      "     "   "
Brown-Blue to BB on dial <------------------> BB on back
White to W on dial <------------------------->  W on back
If a 2H/4H/5H/6A dial is used instead of a 2A, then nothing  is connected to R on dial except strap to BB

Hopefully I wrote these down correctly. Looking at a 50-AL, at your photos,  and at the diagram but may have missed something.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

One problem is that you have the green receiver wire connected to the GN terminal, but since this is just a binding post (not connected to anything else), the receiver is effectively not connected to anything.

You may want to move the line cord up to the rack, rather than attempting to connect it to the dial. Think 20-AL.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

David....I originally had it up the rack and everything worked BUT the dial. I will dig deeper this weekend. Thanks to all for your help....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

"Sorry, but no.  If you are connecting the red and green to the line, you are essentially connecting the receiver directly to the line without the transmitter or the dial pulse contacts even in the circuit. Follow the diagram that unbeldi posted and you will see that is true.

In order to get it to dial out with no subset, you will need to connect the line to yellow and green and jumper between BB and W, or just move the white wire from the W terminal on the dial to BB.  Assuming the transmitter is good, it should work for you, but there WILL be loud pops in the receiver when you dial."

[/quote]Okay Bill....we have to compromise. I did have the stick working before, just not the dial. As David said bring DT back up the rack, I did this and VOILA....it worked!! And with your wiring for the DIAL WORKED.

I had the Stick working but could not have had the dial working without your help. I do appreciate it! Grandkids are coming for the afternoon. I have to lock the phone room!!!.....Doug
Kidphone