News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mini BSP Binder, Mobile Radio 1947-1953

Started by MagicMo, May 15, 2013, 05:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Is this something that should be saved? It seems to be mostly for IL Bell.  It is a mini handheld BSP binder: Mobile Radio 1947-1953. Included in this BSP is many pages about Western Electric, MOTOROLA and GE. Covering highway and urban systems along with lists of equipment and how to install it. Other references are Gibson, RCA and more. They also show you how to install the first ever Bell System mobile telephone control head, the Western Electric Type 41A along with the 42A 46A, 238B 238C, 239A 239B. Some of the Sections are provisional, according to the BSP general plan: This means it contains information for which full patent clearance or other developmental consideration may be pending. Also, the BSP itself may still be in the developmental testing phase and portions may be incomplete. Sections that is included in this "Mini" binder:

BSP Station Installation and Maintenance

Section C15.901 Issue C, 7-5-50 Illinois Bell Telephone Co. Chicago Area – Plant Department

·Reporting Supplies Received, Defective and Unsatisfactory Performance of Items With a Definite Guarantee Period, 1 page

Section C32.275 Issue 4, 1-8-51 AT&T Co standard

Hand Sets, Maintenance, 13 pages

Section C57.201 Issue 2, 4-30-48 AT&T Co Provisional

Station Sets For Mobile Telephone Service, Description and Installation, 62 pages

Section C57.202 Issue A, 4-11-52 Illinois Bell Telephone Co.

Station Sets For Mobile Telephone Service, Supplies, 20 pages

Section C57.205 Issue 1, 1-15-52 AT&T Co Provisional

Mobile station Service, Mobile Station Installation Methods, 18 pages

Section C57.901 Issue C, 4-17-50 Illinois Bell Telephone Co. Chicago Area – Plant Department

Mobile Telephone and Signaling Service, Station Repair

Section C57.902 Issue C, 10-29-51, Illinois Bell Telephone Co. Chicago Area – Plant Department

Mobile Telephone Service, Service Order Completion, 7 pages

Section C57.903 Issue A, 11-7-47, Illinois Bell Telephone Co. Chicago Area – Plant Department

Removal Of Equipment From Yachts, 3 pages

Section C57.905 Issue A, 7-9-51 Illinois Bell Telephone Co. Chicago Area – Plant Department

Mobile Telephone and Service, Maintenance of Coaxial Tubes-Land Stations, 1 page

Section C57.908 Issue D, 6-7-50, Illinois Bell Telephone Co. Chicago Area – Plant Department

Mobile Telephone Service, Stocking Requirements For Mobile Service Center, 2 pages

Section C57.204 Issue 1, 8-5-47 AT&T Co Provisional

Station Sets For Mobile Telephone Service Station Maintenance Two-Way Service, 16 pages

Pink Paper-Addendum C32.275 Issue 3, 7-15-48 AT&T Co Standard

Hand set Maintenance, 1 page

Pink Paper-Addendum C32.275, Issue I, 6-18-51, Illinois Bell telephone Co Chicago area – Plant Dept.

Hand Set Maintenance, 1 page

Pink Paper-Addendum C36.250, Issue B, 2-23-51, Illinois Bell telephone Co Chicago area

Jack and plugs for telephone connections to boats, 1 page

Pink Paper Addendum C57.201, Issue G, 4-11-52, Illinois Bell telephone Co

Station Sets for Mobile Telephone Service, 12 pages

Pink Paper Addendum C57.201, Issue G, 2-17-53, AT&T Co Standard

Station Sets for Mobile Telephone Service, 17 pages

Pink Paper-Addendum C57.901, Issue A, 6-16-48, Illinois Bell telephone Co Chicago area – Plant Dept.

Station Repair, 1 page

The End!
Practice Kindness :)

Jim Stettler

This is one of those items that would be great to scan. It appears to be THE BSP for Mobile radio telephone service.
This is also an item I think John LaRue could be interested in for his Library.
Great find.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

G-Man

Very valuable! I would not be surprised if it brings over $500 on eBay.

It would be nice if it were scanned first and included in the TCI Library.

If you would consider doing so, I can put you in touch with two members who are very adept at scanning and have already uploaded a very large number for the Library.

MagicMo

Wow, I'm surprised. Considering it is a small version too.

G-Man,
Please PM me with the info.
Thanks
Mo

AE_Collector

Those little pocket books on other telephone topics have sold for astounding prices on ebay. It would be interesting to see what the BIG BUX BUYERS value one on Mobile Radio at.

Terry

MagicMo

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 15, 2013, 11:57:04 PM
Those little pocket books on other telephone topics have sold for astounding prices on ebay. It would be interesting to see what the BIG BUX BUYERS value one on Mobile Radio at.

Terry

Oh Geez, You're kidding me! I knew there had to be some value considering the topics. I have stacks and stacks of full size BSP's but this is the first mini one I have found.
Thanks for the info,
Mo

TelePlay

Mo,

If and when you list it after it is scanned, keep my PM in mind.

G-Man

Quote from: AE_Collector on May 15, 2013, 11:57:04 PM

Terry

Terry is certainly correct and this is the reason that the TCI Library is an absolute treasure for collectors and telecom historians.

The average collector would not be able to afford them.  Not only the actual BSPs, but the Xerox copies and CD-Rom that are offered are equally expensive for collectors. The cost of the information that is downloaded daily would be astounding if users were required to pay for it.

While there have been discussions over the years to make the Library accessible to only members of the TCI, each time the idea has been shot down.

Instead they reaffirm the concept of keeping it open to all who wish to explore and download its contents.

Many thanks to Paul and Remco who maintain it, and to the myriad collectors who scan and contribute their valuable documents.

Russ Kirk

Mo,

Can you please take a look at the BSP and see if it has any references to my 47A Control Unit?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Thanks in advance...
Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

HarrySmith

Agreed, the TCI library is a godsend!! I use it all the time and it has answered many questions along with helping me custom design some phones for my customers. I think Maureeen can make a huge contribution with all the documents she has if we can get them all scanned.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

MagicMo

Quote from: Russ Kirk on May 16, 2013, 12:56:49 PM
Mo,

Can you please take a look at the BSP and see if it has any references to my 47A Control Unit?

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Thanks in advance...
Russ

Hi Russ,
Looks like I do! It seems to have an addendum all its own. 17 pages. 1953
Mo

Russ Kirk

Quote from: G-Man on May 15, 2013, 07:05:14 PM
Very valuable! I would not be surprised if it brings over $500 on eBay.

It would be nice if it were scanned first and included in the TCI Library.

If you would consider doing so, I can put you in touch with two members who are very adept at scanning and have already uploaded a very large number for the Library.

Not meaning to strong arm anyone,  but only to add an incentive.

I will pledge a $20 Paypal contribution to TCI if they can scan and add this unique BSP to their library, so I could download it later.  If others would join in it would be better.

I know I don't have the ability to scan such a large document, nor could I afford to buy it once it hits ebay,  so if I can help get it moving with my pledge I will.  After all,  it will be a win-win for all involved.

Russ
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

paul-f

That's a great offer, Russ!

Using the Donate link on the TCI LIbrary site tells the TCI Board that the donation is in support of the Library.  Contributions in the form of funds and documents are always welcome - and helpful.

I have some index documents that suggest that the 47A is also covered in the R50. section.  Anyone looking for the BSPs can add these to the hunt list:

R50.470 - 47A Control Unit and VJB1 Junction Box
   R50.473 -      Maintenance Routines
   R50.474 -      Maintenance Methods
   R50.475 -      Description and Operating Principles (includes T-45149-80 wiring diagram)

The actual radio equipment is in section R90.  (R90.4xx and R90.7xx)

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

MagicMo

FYI
If anyone is interested the mini Mobile binder it is scheduled to be auctioned starting on EBay tomorrow night.
Thanks
Mo