News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

KTAS - GPO Dial repair

Started by wds, August 18, 2013, 05:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Does anyone know how to remove the fingerwheel from this dial?  I can not figure out how to remove the center card holder to remove the fingerwheel.  Any help would be appreciated.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

Dave,

There is a snap ring holding the dial center insert in place.  Carefully pry it out, remove the insert, and you will have access to the screws.

Larry

wds

There's no snap ring.  The inside piece is actually larger than the ring.  I'm wondering if the whole ring comes off.  Or do I just force the inside piece out?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

From here, it looks like the ends of the snap ring are just to the right of the '6'.  If there really is no snap ring, try to remove the center insert somehow.  It might just be lying there.  The screws holding the finger wheel to the dial and the number ring to the finger wheel are behind that insert.

Larry

wds

Got it.  I used one of my tiny screw drivers and forced the insert out.  There probably should be a retainer ring, but this insert fits in there without one.  I've been on the hunt for those GPO retainer rings for quite a while. 
Dave

LarryInMichigan

You might be able to use a key ring as a substitute.

Larry

wds

Another question.  I remember taking a fingerwheel off one of these dials in the past, and the spring unwound.  The spring is behind the number plate.  Do you remember how to remove the fingerwheel without unwinding the spring?
Dave

LarryInMichigan

On these dials, I believe that the spring is on the back side, not directly below the finger wheel as it is on many other European dials.  When I disassemble one of those dials, the spring usually flies across the room, and I spend the rest of the day trying to put it back.  North dials are just as bad.

Larry

wds

That's what I remember also.  I think I'll pull the number plate another day.
Dave

LarryInMichigan

On the GPO type dials, you have to remove the nuts on the back to remove the spring.  Removing the finger wheel and plate are no problem.

Larry