News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Red GPO 332L

Started by FABphones, August 20, 2020, 06:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

In my early days of collecting I picked up a red ITI (Indian Telephone Industries) phone at a jumble sale for 50p. After a few months in the fledgling collection I sold it on to a dealer in Covent Garden (a well known Antiques market in London). The intention was to replace it with a nice red GPO model. Well, over two decades later :o , here is it's successor.

This one is in remarkably good condition, not a chip out of it. Dated 1956, with a 1956 Directory Card in the Directory drawer.

Handset cord faded, but original.

Looks a little orange in the photos but the red is true and shiny. Will give it a polish up, find an original dialcard and add more photos in due course....

:D

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Kidphone

tubaman

Very nice indeed. Was that an eBay find?
:)

HarrySmith

Very nice! Can't wait to see it after you apply your magic touch. Is this a rare phone or just a rare color?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

It looks very nice.  I would be happy to give you 50p for it ;)

Larry

Scott

19and41

Funny how the camera "sees" it.  It looks coral in the picture.  Nice find!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Pourme

~

I like red....

Ya know I love shiny!

I agree, can't wait to see it after you are done!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Key2871

That is sharp looking, congrats on a nice find.
KEN

FABphones

Thanks all.  :)

The phone has received a quick polish using Novus.

It needs a replacement handset cord, and I have none in red, so will need to order one in. Until it arrives I have decided not to open this phone up any more than necessary so further work will have to wait. I will be replacing the dial for a more correct alpha/numerical dial at that point too. I have a few here and it is an easy swap but am being a bit precious with this phone. Not particularly rare but these are selling for silly money at the moment and it has taken a long time for a red GPO 332 to arrive in the collection.

The dialcard it came with is original but faded. At some point in it's past this phone has sat in the sun. Dated 1956, refurbed by the GPO at Cwmcarn, Wales in 1958.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

That phone is absolutely amazing!
Especially if it sat in the sun, red colors are always the first that fade out. But this shell is just perfect!
Where would yo be able to order a suitable braided red cloth cord? Have you thought about dyeing the existing one  with fabric dye?
Do you think the dial was swapped in the refurbishing process, or later by a collector?

Congrats to the long awaited find!

19and41

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

I have one in my collection as well, it's a 1956 Siemens 332F that came from New Zealand.