News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 2500DM won't break dial tone

Started by JC, November 02, 2012, 11:47:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JC

I have a couple of WE 2500DM sets that won't break dial tone.  (No, not a line polarity issue.)  When connected and off-hook, dial tone is available.  Battery is 49v on-hook, 5.9v. off-hook.  When dialed, the tones are heard in the receiver but they will not break dial tone.  All contact springs on the dial have been cleaned.  Other sets on the line work properly and will break dial tone and dial correctly.  Thoughts?

phone-sweep

Do the tones sound normal?  Since a polarity issue is ruled out, gotta think it might be the oscillators on the back of the TT pad.

I've had an issue like this before and sent the phone to Steve Hilsz in Arizona.  He said it was the oscillators and replaced the touch-tone pad.  Very reasonable on the repair.  More info here:

http://www.navysalvage.com/

twocvbloke

My NE2500 had the same issue, made tones, but slightly off-frequency, I managed to retune it just enough so that my Panasonic 616 will accept them, but they don't work on the landline weirdly... ???

I also swapped the pad (retaining the darker buttons for the black NE2500) with my red AT&Tified NE2500's pad, as that's pretty much a working-spares phone, and that solved the dialling  issue... :)

Shame really that they stop working like that because of the oscillators on the back, seemed like a clever solution to the older reed-twanging tone dials... :D

AL_as_needed

I see this is an older post, but I am having similar issues. I have a 73 2500D that also fails to break tone. All any of the buttons seem to do is lower the dial tone and make a quick peep sound. I have check the TCI library thinking I moved something incorrectly, but all checks out. Is there anyway  to repair these dials if its faulty? Want to avoid a swap with an equally old pad with potentially the same issue.
TWinbrook7

Southernphoneman

Quote from: AL_as_needed on May 02, 2016, 09:00:40 PM
I see this is an older post, but I am having similar issues. I have a 73 2500D that also fails to break tone. All any of the buttons seem to do is lower the dial tone and make a quick peep sound. I have check the TCI library thinking I moved something incorrectly, but all checks out. Is there anyway  to repair these dials if its faulty? Want to avoid a swap with an equally old pad with potentially the same issue.
It could be a polarity issue, try this test, change the red and green of the mount cord from the L1 and L2 respectively, then plug it in and if it dials out than you know thats what it is.

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Southernphoneman on May 02, 2016, 09:05:47 PM
It could be a polarity issue, try this test, change the red and green of the mount cord from the L1 and L2 respectively, then plug it in and if it dials out than you know thats what it is.

It was exactly that! Easy fix. Thanks!
TWinbrook7

Southernphoneman

Quote from: AL_as_needed on May 03, 2016, 10:25:27 AM
It was exactly that! Easy fix. Thanks!
Hi, thats great, i am glad you got it working, the 2500 is a great telephone. :)

AL_as_needed

It is especially great when you call a bank and are asked to "enter your account number, followed by the pound sign" and you look at your rotary...... ;D
TWinbrook7