News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Brass 302 with a Surprise

Started by Doug Rose, December 30, 2013, 09:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Anyone following this? Its a short ear 37 302! Surprise!! I didn't like the glob on front right (left). I bid on it but not high enough. I would have loved to open it up. It was at $24 in the last minute. If you won it, it might be a goodie. It was a refurb by someone who didn't quit know what he might have had........Doug
Kidphone

WEBellSystemChristian

Dangit! I saw that one, but I thought it was stupid- looking, and moved on. If only I knew it was a '37...
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Mr. Bones

Oof!

That would have been quite the treasure, especially for $24.00. Sorry for your luck on this one, Doug. I've lost many auctions in this fashion, some really lamentable. Since this auction is over , may we please have the link to it? I would like to look at the additional pictures, description, etc., if at all possible.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111244173649

Sold for $78.77 to f***2 (5), whose only other bid is for a camera.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

I bid on that one, but apparently not high enough.  I saw those small plungers and thought it might be a good one.  I wonder though if it hasn't been refurbished and not original in the inside.  Nice phone anyway. 
Dave

poplar1

The short finger stop indicates the dial is late 1945 or newer. Almost all small-plunger 302s I've found as removed from service have newer dials, which isn't surprising seeing how many times they were remanufactured and leased to new customers.

rdelius

This is a Chicago Old Telephone co refurb.I most likely built it

Kenton K

The grooved handset also means it was refurbished post 1940.
If anybody "gilded" this telephone, they did a good job, the color isn't flaking at all. I would kinda like to know how to do that.

Ken

poplar1

Quote from: Kenton K on December 31, 2013, 01:13:23 PM
If anybody "gilded" this telephone, they did a good job, the color isn't flaking at all. I would kinda like to know how to do that.

Ken

Perhaps Robby can tell us how he did it. If it had been an original colored 302, it probably would have had a painted handset that was brown Bakelite underneath the paint. It's true that the brown handsets don't have grooves. Most of the black handsets, however, do have grooves. At least all the ones from March 1938 on. Why do you say post 1940?

Jim Stettler

Steve Hilsz, V.T.S. used to produce brass 302 bodies (1970's), I don't know if his were regular or small plunger.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Kenton K

Quote from: poplar1 on January 01, 2014, 04:01:28 PM
Quote from: Kenton K on December 31, 2013, 01:13:23 PM

Ken

Perhaps Robby can tell us how he did it. If it had been an original colored 302, it probably would have had a painted handset that was brown Bakelite underneath the paint. It's true that the brown handsets don't have grooves. Most of the black handsets, however, do have grooves. At least all the ones from March 1938 on. Why do you say post 1940?

My mistake. You are right, I read Paul F's F1 chart wrong. According to Paul F's chart, grooved F1s after 9/37. Thanks for catching my mistake.

Ken

rdelius

At one point ,someone else tore down the sets and put the parts in common piles with other parts.No effort was made to keep them sorted by dates.Many sets were incomplete.We uasually pulled out the 1937 sets with small plungers and saved them if nice for collectors.Someone sent this out to get plated and since it was special,an effort was made to put a chassis with it that was of similar vintage.The handset was most likely 1938 or newer .Very few 1937 grooveless handsets ever turned up in the 25 years I was there.Later we switched to gold plating.It was nicer than the brass and did not tarnish