News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 50 line cord hookup.

Started by Greg G., February 10, 2014, 01:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

I've had this thing for a while, finally got around to hooking it up.  The line cord looks kinda funky, just three short brown wires coming out of the back.  I tried the "by guess and by golly" method and hooked up two of them to a biscuit adapter, nothing.  Didn't really feel like trying different combinations so I'll post the question here along with pics showing where the wires are hooked up to the network.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

Where the 3 brown pieces of "inside wire" are connected is L1 to the left, Grd in the middle and L2 to the right....I think! If so that wire/spade lug is hooking one side of the ringers to ground so it needs to go to one of the other leads L1 or L2. Try your by guess and by golly method.

Somwhere there are L1 GRD & L2 marks referencing each terminal. Maybe on the bakelite base behind each screw terminal?

Terry

G-Man

As Terry has stated, it is not a line cord but old-style inside wiring. When stripped back a close look should reveal fine colored threads, typically Red, Green with the third conductor being yellow or unmarked.

stub

Brinybay,
                Here you go.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: G-Man on February 10, 2014, 03:45:33 AM
As Terry has stated, it is not a line cord but old-style inside wiring. When stripped back a close look should reveal fine colored threads, typically Red, Green with the third conductor being yellow or unmarked.

Yep, you're right.  I noticed the threads but didn't notice the colors.  I also moved the ringer wire over to the terminal on the right (L2).  Anyway, fully functions except it doesn't quite ring, but it's trying to.  The clapper moves a bit, but not far enough.  I tried adjusting the gongs, but those screws are really tight.  I didn't want to apply brute force for fear of damaging the screws.  I may need a different ringer anyway because I think this one is a frequency ringer.  Just need to get a proper line cord for it.  Are AE cords significantly any different than WE cords?

http://youtu.be/vO4-yBBB9gs
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Phonesrfun

If you are going to plug it into a modular jack as opposed to hard-wiring it, then by all means use a line cord.  All brands will use a modular line cord.  Doesn't matter that it is AE.

In the past, wall phones did not have "line cords" because the installer custom ran inside wire from the connecting block for the house over, under, around and through whatever they needed to to get to the phone.  Once it was wired in, then hopefully you didn't want to move it.

-Bill G

Greg G.

Only wall jack we have is not available for attaching a wall phone, so I'll have to use a line cord.
- Mike Row
e

Babybearjs

this phone can be mounted on a backboard and a 228A modular plate can be mounted on the backside to make it modular.... this is the solution I came up with 20 years ago and the phone works great....
John

Greg G.

Quote from: Babybearjs on February 19, 2014, 04:39:09 AM
this phone can be mounted on a backboard and a 228A modular plate can be mounted on the backside to make it modular.... this is the solution I came up with 20 years ago and the phone works great....

Sounds like a doable project.  I've been wanting to learn how to use a router to make my own wooden backboards for various wall phones.  I have another AE 50 that's already on a backboard, but it needs some touching up.
- Mike Row
e