News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Beige 302 Telephone

Started by persido, April 13, 2014, 05:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

persido

Finished up restoring a 302 today.  The handset was ruff connecting to the 6a dial, the handset cord had red, black, green and yellow wires, after many tries of moving wires around, I put the green and black wires together where the white wire would go, and bingo got it working (so much better when there is only red, black and white wires).

Scot

WesternElectricBen

Doug Rose

its a beauty Scot....How did you make out with the Blue F1 handset getting redone...Doug
Kidphone

persido

Thanks guys, Doug the blue handset came out good, not great, but it looks good on the phone, below is the link.

Scot

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11591.0

poplar1

The colors of the wires aren't really critical so long as you connect the wires to the same designated terminal on each end--i.e. the same color wire to the BK terminal in the handset and to BK on the dial, then the same on  R in hs and R on the induction coil, and  W in hs and W on the dial. So you can use any 3 wires.

If you want to use all 4, then you might want to put 2 wires on R (common) in the handset and the same 2 on R of the induction coil.

Whenever I have to use a 3-conductor handset cord with Red, Green and Yellow conductors on a WE phone, I always substitute Green for the intended white, and yellow instead of black. This to me is more logical than the more common practice of substituting yellow for white and green for black. The reason is that going back over 100 years, WE used green for the receiver, yellow for the transmitter and red for the common, for example on the line cord for a 20-AL desk stand (candlestick).

Quote from: persido on April 13, 2014, 05:52:32 AM
Finished up restoring a 302 today.  The handset was ruff connecting to the 6a dial, the handset cord had red, black, green and yellow wires, after many tries of moving wires around, I put the green and black wires together where the white wire would go, and bingo got it working (so much better when there is only red, black and white wires).

Scot
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.