News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Federal Type 61 Radio

Started by Doug Rose, November 04, 2016, 05:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have a chance to get this radio in like new condition. Any idea of idea value? Second pic states this one in the ad sold for $233....thanks...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Radio guys.....any idea on this? Did this one sell for $233 or did they origianlly sell for $233 which I think would have been a whole lot of money back then. The one I am looking for has the external speaker...Doug
Kidphone

Jim Stettler

i read it as $223.00 in 1924.

How much did you pay for your first computer?

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

thanks Jim...expensive for 1924....Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

$233 in 1924  = $3290 in 2016 US Dollars.
http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm

How much did a car cost that year?
What did the average worker make?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Seller wants $800 for it. I have not seen it in person. Said it was never used. I still imagine someone having $233 to spend on a radio in 1924. I am on the fence. .....Doug
Kidphone

19and41

There were cheaper radios, but they wouldn't have been as complete as your unit.  I really can't say what the current price would be for a set of that vintage.  I do know that $800 seems a bit high.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

That's what I thought and decided against it. Pics were not the best, they said it was never used. Still...it would have been more clutter for Jan to kill me over....thanks for your input...Doug
Kidphone

19and41

I went on the old inflation calculator and if that unit cost $233 in 1924, that would be the equivalent of $3,293.73 in todays' bux.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

TelePlay

Being a member of the RM, I get to see reported collector prices, what others paid for the radio and when.

This is for the image above and the average price of those listed in the yellow box is $1,372.

If the horn speaker is included, that's worth what, $125-200?

Bill

Wow! Very impressive. I hope you have cross-posted your query to rarp (rec.antiques.radio+phono) or antiques radio forum.

Bill