News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 51AL and 554C Dual Capacitor Subset Not Working

Started by gands-antiques, September 18, 2019, 05:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Yeah, you got something goin on with that stack.
You mentioned you had cleaned contacts, and got it working briefly.
May be a screw is too long, and touchin something???
Glad the insulator solved the problem any way.
Another phone talkin again!!!

Jack Ryan

Quote from: gands-antiques on September 19, 2019, 10:25:53 PM
Jack,

You are my savior.  I have been messing with this phone for several months and all it needed was one of the little insulator buttons.  I have several spare hooks and one of them had one of the insulator buttons like the one in your picture and I put it on the hook and now everything is working perfectly. 

I don't know how I built the previous candlesticks but I will sure use an insulator button in the future.

I really appreciate all of your help and the help from the other members that contributed to getting my phone working.

Thanks a lot!!

Gary     

I'm glad the phone is now working but if the missing buffer causes the phone not to work there may be another short to the frame that you haven't yet found.

I wrote a short article about fixing the missing buffer in UK candlesticks but it applies equally to US and other candlesticks. Basically a round head nylon machine screw was used to replace the missing buffer.

Regards
Jack

gands-antiques

Quote from: RB on September 19, 2019, 10:39:04 PM
Yeah, you got something goin on with that stack.
You mentioned you had cleaned contacts, and got it working briefly.
May be a screw is too long, and touchin something???
Glad the insulator solved the problem any way.
Another phone talkin again!!!

If I said the phone worked briefly when I cleaned the contacts, I didn't mean to.  The phone hasn't worked for a couple of months until I put the buffer/insulator button on the hook last night.

Gary

gands-antiques

Quote from: Jack Ryan on September 19, 2019, 10:46:23 PM
I'm glad the phone is now working but if the missing buffer causes the phone not to work there may be another short to the frame that you haven't yet found.

I wrote a short article about fixing the missing buffer in UK candlesticks but it applies equally to US and other candlesticks. Basically a round head nylon machine screw was used to replace the missing buffer.

Regards
Jack

I'm going to look for a short today.

Jack...do you have a sketch or some information about the nylon screw you use for the buffer buttons?

Thanks,
Gary

Ktownphoneco

Gary   ....     Here's a shortened link to a retail on line source that shows the nylon screw Jack mentioned.   It's nothing more than a pan head No. 4 machine screw made from nylon.      I believe OPW carries them as well, but I'm sure you can find them in your area as well.    Here's the link :   https://bit.ly/2kraUTF        Picture attached.   

Jeff Lamb

gands-antiques

Jack Ryan

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on September 20, 2019, 09:57:48 AM
Gary   ....     Here's a shortened link to a retail on line source that shows the nylon screw Jack mentioned.   It's nothing more than a pan head No. 4 machine screw made from nylon.      I believe OPW carries them as well, but I'm sure you can find them in your area as well.    Here's the link :   https://bit.ly/2kraUTF        Picture attached.   

Jeff Lamb

Yes, that's the sort of screw I mean but try for black ones. It is not the same black as the original but not so obviously different.

I also suggest Phillips head because the "slot" is more contained.

Jack

gands-antiques

Quote from: Jack Ryan on September 20, 2019, 07:12:57 PM
Yes, that's the sort of screw I mean but try for black ones. It is not the same black as the original but not so obviously different.

I also suggest Phillips head because the "slot" is more contained.

Jack

Jack,

Where do you get the #4 black phillips head nylon screws.

Thanks,
Gary

Jack Ryan

Quote from: gands-antiques on September 20, 2019, 08:48:01 PM
Jack,

Where do you get the #4 black phillips head nylon screws.

Thanks,
Gary

When I wanted some I used Google to search for "nylon machine screws black" and found lots of eBay suppliers - mostly in China.

eg: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/302529337818

Just find one that has the size you want and the postage is probably free.

Jack