News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hi, new guy here with auction score.

Started by bob833, November 10, 2016, 05:31:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob833

Hi, just picked up a bunch of "projects" at a recent auction. I have sold a few already that work without any issues. The red styleline works but won't ring for me, I could use some help with that in a soon to come post.   I might drive ya crazy by asking questions!

Kenton K

Jim Stettler

Great win.  Many times a non-ringing phone is caused by the ringer being disconnected. This was done so the phone company couldn't detect unauthorized  extensions.

Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WEBellSystemChristian

Nice finds!

I expect you could get a great profit, especially with the AE34 (far left, 2nd from top) and what I suspect is an AE35 (top, middle).
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Welcome to CRPF. A lot of great information here and great members as well. :)

AE_Collector

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on November 10, 2016, 05:45:01 PM
Nice finds!

I expect you could get a great profit, especially with the AE34 (far left, 2nd from top) and what I suspect is an AE35 (top, middle).

Good Eye (once again) Christian! I didn't even notice that. Definitely a 34 on the left. Need to see the lack of vents on the side of the potential 35 wall phone to confirm that it isn't just a 50 with an older handset.

Bob833 says he has already sold a couple, hopefully he knew what he had if either of these two have been sold already.

Terry

bob833

The top middle jukebox doesn't have vents on the sides so I guess it is an AE35. The AE34 with the brown cord rings but has very low volume on the receiver plus no transmit. The one phone I sold was a AE 50 with the chrome rings and dials, I was already told I didn't get enough for it $83. The other ones were a couple of 2500 pushbuttons. That's kind of why I came here, to get educated. The auction I was at had more phones  that my wife told me to bid on, but I am cheap! One  was a black space saver that went for $27 and a ??? with chrome rings and dial. My wife said "just sell them" but I have to try to make them work! That's a trait of mine.

AE_Collector

You can start an AE 34 with problems topic and we should be able to get it working. Good that you have the 34 (desk) and 35 (wall) phones still. They are worth more than their slightly newer counterparts, the 40 desk and 50 wall sets.

$83 for a 50 with Chrome is likely a little towards the low end of the "worth" range but there are lots of variables with all the 34, 35, 40 & 50 sets. Condition of course, lack of chips and cracks and surface condition of the Bakelite. Some Bakelite loses its shine and doesn't want to come back. Ringers are another concern. Many of these sets can have frequency ringers in them from the party line days and for the most part, you won't be able to make them ring. So you need to check all the ringers to confirm that they are straight line ringers.

Terry

bob833

Quite a few have frequency ringers, although some have 20 hertz ringers. Anyone know what model those metal phones are? I think they all have the spit cup type handset. It seems so far that the old spit cup type are giving me the most problems like low volume on the receiver and no transmit at all. Oh well, the projects go on!

AE_Collector

Where is Stub when we need him? They don't quite look like type 38 handsets so I am wondering if they might be induction coil handsets? Cases look like they have hooks for separate receivers like they were type 21's but only the one looks like it had a separate transmitter on the case along with the dial. There is a type 42 (42 not 44 I think?) that would have had a dial on the case and a type 41 handset but it would have had a proper hook for a handset.

Inside pictures are going to be needed.

Terry

unbeldi

It hard to tell without opportunity to examine the metal subscriber sets, but the top two might be parts from an intercom system, perhaps types 32, 33, or 34. These could have standard handsets, or induction coil handsets.

The third of them (bottom in the picture) might be a converted Type 21 subscriber set, the location of the original transmitter is still visible.

Contempra

Hi and welcome to you Bob . well  , nice collection ( score ) the only one i have is a Brown one .. yes i have many other phones . Lately, i bought a Northern  Electric for $10  ( black the only things is the dial is a 1962,the rest is original ;)  so, another collector on the forum is always very welcome .