News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Storing & Organizing Lots of Phones

Started by HobieSport, December 28, 2009, 11:22:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I purchased a couple phones from a collector that lived only a couple miles from me.  Saw his item on ebay, one thing led to another and found out he was only around the corner from me.  He was a retired Bell Telephone man, and had stored his complete collection of 302 phones - all the colors - in his attic for safe keeping.  He pulled them down a couple years later, and mice had eaten all the colored cords off the phones.  Sadly, he still stores in his attic, but now he puts his phones in heavy sealed plastic containers.  

Dave

Greg G.

Fortunately, we don't have a rodent problem, that's the first thing I looked for in the attic when I first went up there.  There's only one or two ghosts, but they're pretty quiet and don't bother anything (it's a walk-in type attic and kinda spooky).  It's also dry.  The s/o has had stuff up there for a good 20 years, no damage in that way.  But yeah, it's going to get frigging hot up there, so I guess the verdict is move at least the plastic ones (which is most of them) down to more climate-controlled area.  That in turn means something's got to give downstairs.  I may have to sacrifice my little work bench for now, that's the only available space I can see right now.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Adam

Quote from: Brinybay on April 03, 2012, 12:18:57 PM
There's only one or two ghosts, but they're pretty quiet and don't bother anything (it's a walk-in type attic and kinda spooky).

Unless they start making calls with the phones you have stored up there. Could run up quite a bill...
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

LarryInMichigan

Another concern that I would have about keeping phones in a hot place is about rubber cords and other rubber parts.  I would expect that high temperatures could cause rubber to become dry and brittle.

Larry

canuckphoneguy

I'm glad I have the room in my basement to keep my phones out. I can't imagine having to pack all of my nice phones in boxes and store them away.

Greg G.

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on April 04, 2012, 06:52:17 PM
I'm glad I have the room in my basement to keep my phones out. I can't imagine having to pack all of my nice phones in boxes and store them away.

We're actually considering an addition to the house.  Not really just for my phones, it's something she wanted anyway, but if all goes as planned, I'll have a whole room to do what I want with.  The phones are safe and sound now down in the lower part of the house in the office next to my desk, where I can view my (boxed) collection.  I was off today and did some rearranging while she was at work.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

I wanted to arrange them like this, but Anita wouldn't let me.
- Mike Row
e

canuckphoneguy

Quote from: Brinybay on April 06, 2012, 12:17:12 AM

I don't think I'd be allowed to arrange my phones like that either  ;D

Doug Rose

Have Anita talk to Janet  ??? It is perfect phone storage setup in my humble opinion. I don't think you will miss the card board, but dusting can be a (expletive deleted) ..Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

QuoteI don't think you will miss the card board, but dusting can be a (expletive deleted) ..Doug

Just turn on the Westinghouse fan and blow all of the dust away :)

Larry

Doug Rose

Larry....if is was that easy! Its a Western Electric Fan and it does work. It is not a breeze, more like a wind tunnel as it's high level.  Still oscilates and is as quiet as it should be! I picked it up on CL about five years ago from people cleaning out the basement. They needed $10 for it. Who was I to complain! I couldn't drive there fast enough. ...Doug
Kidphone

LarryInMichigan

I guess that my fan identification skills are still a bit weak.  The Westinghouse fans rotated counter-clockwise while most others rotated clockwise.  Yours appears to be a counter-clockwise rotation.  I believe that WE fans were manufactured by Robbins and Myers.  WE later changed the brand name to Graybar.  I have a c 1930 Graybar fan waiting for me in my mother's basement.  I spotted it several weeks ago on CL, not far from her house, and she bought it for me.

Larry

Greg G.

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 06, 2012, 09:25:48 AM
Have Anita talk to Janet  ??? It is perfect phone storage setup in my humble opinion. I don't think you will miss the card board, but dusting can be a (expletive deleted) ..Doug

First, I'll have to get her more used to old-fashioned phones ringing.  Up until now, she was the type that turned off the electronic ringer on her cordless phone.  However, she does like the idea of an intercom system when I told her how the Panasonic 308 works.
- Mike Row
e

liteamorn

AE 50's ? You have a box full of AE 50's? Nice looking collection there, BOTH collections!

AE_Collector

Litemorn:

Who's comment are you referring to about a box full of AE 50's? I can't see anything about that in any posts. I have boxes of AE 40's and 50's but don't think it was me who said anything about it here?

Terry