News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 20AL on Ebay

Started by ItalianAce, April 02, 2013, 09:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItalianAce

Here is a nice and original WE 20AL that's up for auction (and no Im not the one selling it lol). It looks all original to me even the hookswitch and perch. More shinny than usual though so dont know if was lacquered or coated.

Has anyone else noticed the non-dial desk stands like the 20/40AL models seem to not sell or if they do they go cheap (sometimes after a few relistings). I guess most perfere the 50/51AL dial versions.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nice-Antique-Western-Electric-Co-American-Bell-323-20-AL-Candlestick-Phone-/290889117244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43ba57ae3c

dencins

I do not recognize the transmitter.  The faceplate is a 323 but I am not familiar with the internal parts including the bridge.  Anyone recognize it?

Dennis Hallworth

wds

Sure looks like a Kellogg transmitter from the back.  Missing the damper springs?
Dave

wds

Picture from the ebay phone.
Dave

wds

Now that I look at the picture some more on Ebay, you can see the bump in the diaphram from the front.  Someone has put a Kellogg diaphram and internals on a WE faceplate.  Could the faceplate be a repro?
Dave

ItalianAce

Funny because I thought maybe Kellogg too, but wasn't sure. I don't think the faceplate is repro by the inside screw mounts unless someone did an amazing job reproducing it hehe. I think it was buffed out and laq out. If that is original face plate it has "remove the kellogg trans and Mini Network me" written all over it hehe.

Sargeguy

The faceplate looks legit.  The bridge is easily replaced, I have a few lying around.  This would be an $80-100 phone on ebay without the fancy polishing job.  I would recommend sanding it befiore repainting so the paint has something to stick too.  You may want to soak it in Pine-Sol or paint remover overnight to remove any lacquer that was sprayed on it. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

ItalianAce

Yeah its a nice phone. I believe the phone is going for $175 starting bid. Even though I posted the thread I'm not intending to buy it; I thought maybe for someone looking for a Pre-Dial phone. Also Ive noticed a lot of the super shinny (not replated...but just really shinny) desk stand phones on ebay.

I guess it can stand as is without repainting for someone that wanted it to show in brass format (Im kind of a sucker for that; I like that brass especially if the phone is more for show than usage).

Doug Rose

I just picked up a nice 51AL this week. It is off to eBay next week. I just recovered the base and wiped it down with brasso. Handset cord is cut and line cord was cut, but connections are still insdie. A good project to get a working stick....Doug
Kidphone

ItalianAce

Oh wow awesome. I can't tell by the photos but if you have a 4H dial converted from a 2A don't forget to mention that or even if it's just a 4H.  Its seeming that 4H's are going for $50+ dollars in recent just as a standalone.  I could be wrong, but, you would probably get more in sale if the phone was already ready to use. But if it's an around town find than anything you get is still a make out.  Really nice brass there. No tarnish or brass "red rot".