News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial cards for AE dials.

Started by Stephen Furley, April 15, 2009, 05:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Furley

How do I fit a dial card to my AE 80?  there is a screw in the centre of the dial, but the cards don't have holes in them, and it the card goes on top of the screw then there's nothing to hold it in place.  Oldphoneworks have various AE dial card kits, plates, rings and brackets; do I need any of these, or are they for older 'phones.  If I do need them how do they attach to the dial?

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Stephen Furley

Yes, with several concentric ridges near to the edge of the area where the card ought to be.

BDM

Quote from: Stephen Furley on April 15, 2009, 05:53:07 PM
Yes, with several concentric ridges near to the edge of the area where the card ought to be.

Hmmm, let me check mine when I arrive home.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Stephen, mine just had a sticker dial card on it that was peeked off. I don't see any way that one attach's, unless it uses a pressure type ring. One that would mount to the outer edge of the dial card face.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Stephen, there are several type of AE dial card retainer rings.  Can you post a photo of yours??

Ellen

I have a Northern Electric 500 with a clear plastic finger-dial with the concentric ridges.  I cut out my dial card (paper) just a hair too large and stuffed it in.  It stays fine - where would it go??

Edit days later - the dial card goes inside/in the back of the finger wheel.

mienaichizu

I know AE80's have both sticker dial cards for screw type finger wheel  and pressure type ring for dial cards. I have both type of fingerwheel

Stephen Furley

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 15, 2009, 08:57:50 PM
Stephen, there are several type of AE dial card retainer rings.  Can you post a photo of yours??

The 'phone is on my desk at work at the moment, and I'm home for the weekend; I'll take a picture on Monday.

Stephen Furley

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 15, 2009, 08:57:50 PM

This isn't a very good picture, but can you tell anything from it?  the screw in the centre is exposed; there's nothing covering it.

Dennis Markham

Stephen, I'm no expert on these AE's.  I have a variety of them with different dial card centers.  I checked a couple that I have like yours.  Mine are also without dial cards but there is sticker residue there.  I believe, and could be wrong, but think this era of finger wheels had an adhesive sticker over the screw for a dial card.  If there was a retainer ring I'm not aware of it.  Perhaps some of the others have more experience with these AE's.

mienaichizu

i think that one is used with stick-on dial card, some AE80's have that kind of dials and other have the pressure type ring dial

mienaichizu

I have reviewed my AE telephones and this is what I found:

First photo: AE80 screw type dial with cap
Second photo: AE80 with pressure type ring dial
Third photo: AE90 screw type dial for stick-on dial cards

Stephen, it looks like your dial is the one on the third photo

I'm no expert on AE phones but it seems their dials are interchangeable for AE 80's and 90's including AE186(multi-line)

McHeath

Good detective work Mienaichizu.  I've never owned an AE phone so this is all beyond my keen, in fact I've only seen one in person, an AE 80, and it was interestingly different from my WE 500s.  I never even knew that there were other types of phones being used back in the Ma Bell days in the USA, all we and our friends and family had were the WE phones.  It was a little world then to me.