News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

zinc 302

Started by suhoni56, October 09, 2014, 09:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suhoni56

Greetings!  I am new to your Forum and have recently begun to collect old rotary phones. I have several, but decided to post on my most recent addition. I am a total newbie, so not sure when I see a good deal, but I noticed a 302 on Ebay that was not described very completely. The description did not mention what it was made of, or the type handset, etc). Judging from the bubbling paint, I decided it was likely zinc (it is pictured as my icon).  I won it for $50.99 and free delivery, and was pleased to find, upon delivery, that it is in fact zinc. It appears to be intact and original, and I plan to repair it. I have not yet decided how to treat the bubbling paint. I am a metal artist, so it won't be difficult for me, but I wonder if it might be more desirable to just clean it up a bit and get it working (I have not tested it; it just arrived today). I am just beginning t read old threads here on the forum and am really enjoying it!
Susan

Kenton K

Welcome! Your 302 is probably an earlier metal 302 WE made before they switched to thermoplastic. Metal ones last longer, but they have the usual paint issues.
Based on your avatar, it doesn't look like the paint wear is to bad.  I don't mind slight paint wear, like around the cradle ears.

And, just as a warning, be careful about phone collecting. Before you know it, you'll have dozens!!!

-KK

suhoni56

Thanks for your reply. The phone is marked H1 on the back above the cord. I have not yet figured out how to date all the parts, but I'm working on it! The cords are both very old, plastic, or rubber, or whatever they used.... and neither is coiled.
Susan

Kenton K

Nice. If its stamped on the back, its probably an early one.

we want pictures!

suhoni56

Here's some pics of my new treasure!
Susan

HarrySmith

Welcome! I am glad Kenton mentioned it, Phonitis is a progressive incurable condition. Soon you will be spending all you spare time (and money) on old phones!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Welcome! I'm sure we can help you with getting your old phone back in order.

Ben

tallguy58

We need shots of the inside to best diagnose the patient.
Cheers........Bill

suhoni56

okay, lemme find a screwdriver!  And I'm afraid I already  have phonitis..... in the early stages I guess, but here's my start. My Dada brought the candlestick back from New Zealand from WW II. That is what planted the seed long ago. It has finally sprouted.
Susan

Kenton K

Nice candlestick! (is it missing the base?).

suhoni56

Here are her innards.
Susan

Kenton K

I can't really read the date, but it looks like an 1938 with a 4H dial. Nice for $50 bucks. Plus the paint isn't to shabby. I wouldn't repaint.

suhoni56

I do not know if the base is missing or not.... you tell me?
Susan

Kenton K

Is there a cover on the bottom of the phone? It kind of seems like there is a cover missing, but, that may just be my terrible eyes.

suhoni56

No, there is no cover on the bottom of the candlestick. I guess I need to try to get one?
And here is a closer pic of (the date?) of the 302
Thanks for all your replies!
Big fun!!!
Susan