"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wiring 302 as ringer extension??

Started by Mr. Bones, August 13, 2013, 04:31:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Good afternoon,

I am in the testing phases of utilizing 302 bases as a subset. I currently have zero telephones connected up to the prototype 302 base. I just wanted to see if it had a viable ringer, before I proceeded...

I have followed the 302 wiring diagrams presented here on the forum, but am not sure where to bond or land the wiring normally utilized for the dial, switchhook, etc., until such time as I affix a telephone, with switchhook, dial, or blank apparatus to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advance, and best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

Red line cord to L1.
Green line cord to L2-Y.

Red ringer wire to L1.
Black ringer wire to K.
Slate condenser wire to K.
Yellow condenser wire to L2-Y

Thus, the ringer and condenser are connected in series.

Later, when you want to connect a 202 or 151AL or 211, the mounting cord from the phone connects as follows:

Green to GN
Red to R
Yellow to L2-Y
Black to GND (don't connect the yellow line cord here).

Also, connect the black condenser wire to GND and red condenser wire to C.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: poplar1 on August 13, 2013, 05:33:51 PM
Red line cord to L1.
Green line cord to L2-Y.
<Check>
Red ringer wire to L1.
Black ringer wire to K.
<Check>
Slate condenser wire to K.
Yellow condenser wire to L2-Y
<Check, as best as I can differentiate the faded wiring colors.> Maybe I'm reversed?
Still no ring effort at all.
QuoteThus, the ringer and condenser are connected in series.

Later, when you want to connect a 202 or 151AL or 211, the mounting cord from the phone connects as follows:

Green to GN
Red to R
Yellow to L2-Y
Black to GND (don't connect the yellow line cord here).

Also, connect the black condenser wire to GND and red condenser wire to C.
To use/test as a ringer only, where does one connect the BLK condenser wire, and the red one? Tape them off, until needed? Or does the above apply to subset/and/or ringer?

I apologize, in advance, for all the stupid questions, and greatly appreciate all the help available here.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

You can connect the red and black talk capacitor wires or tape them; it doesn't matter to the ringing circuit...I would try substituting a known ringer and, if that doesn't work, also change the capacitor. "Process of elimination" as my 7th grade teacher said repeatedly. Polarity of the yellow and slate wires shouldn't matter. I'm surprised they were not already connected, other than the black lead which would have originally been on the dial.

Mr. Bones

Quote from: poplar1 on August 13, 2013, 10:33:13 PM
You can connect the red and black talk capacitor wires or tape them; it doesn't matter to the ringing circuit...I would try substituting a known ringer and, if that doesn't work, also change the capacitor. "Process of elimination" as my 7th grade teacher said repeatedly. Polarity of the yellow and slate wires shouldn't matter. I'm surprised they were not already connected, other than the black lead which would have originally been on the dial.

Thanks!,

That's exactly what I've been digging for parts to try, as I have been over the connections, and they seem right...

Many of my other bases are 304 / 306, to further complicate things...gotta dig out a known-working 302x-type, go from there.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

poplar1

Quote from: Mr. Bones on August 13, 2013, 10:41:20 PM
Quote from: poplar1 on August 13, 2013, 10:33:13 PM

Thanks!,

That's exactly what I've been digging for parts to try, as I have been over the connections, and they seem right...

Many of my other bases are 304 / 306, to further complicate things...gotta dig out a known-working 302x-type, go from there.

Best regards!

You can borrow a B2A ringer from a 304; just connect the "extra" slate and slate-red ringer wires together. If you aren't using it as a subset you can remove the black condenser wire if it is on GND and use the GND as a tie point for the two "extra" ringer wires.

poplar1

Quote from: Mr. Bones on August 13, 2013, 04:31:00 PM
Good afternoon,

I am in the testing phases of utilizing 302 bases as a subset. I currently have zero telephones connected up to the prototype 302 base. I just wanted to see if it had a viable ringer, before I proceeded...

I have followed the 302 wiring diagrams presented here on the forum, but am not sure where to bond or land the wiring normally utilized for the dial, switchhook, etc., until such time as I affix a telephone, with switchhook, dial, or blank apparatus to it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated....

Thanks in advance, and best regards!

If you just want an extension ringer, then it's ok to bypass the induction coil or even remove it. Just connect one line wire to the red ringer wire and the other line wire to the yellow condenser wire, and connect the slate condenser wire and black ringer wire together.