"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1961 single slot

Started by rdelius, October 12, 2010, 01:19:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Dave F on October 13, 2010, 02:06:03 PM
For what that phone cost me, that door had better be chrome!
Dave,

If I collected Payphones I would chase 1 of those.That is probably cheap for the money.
It is a nice looking set. Are the innards complete?
The WE 10 button 3 slot is a very very (very) hard phone to find.

Two bad it wasn't one of the white  NY World's Fair only phones, (I think 1964?)
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dave F

Quote from: Jim S. on October 13, 2010, 02:17:47 PM
Quote from: Dave F on October 13, 2010, 02:06:03 PM
For what that phone cost me, that door had better be chrome!
Dave,

If I collected Payphones I would chase 1 of those.That is probably cheap for the money.
It is a nice looking set. Are the innards complete?
The WE 10 button 3 slot is a very very (very) hard phone to find.

Two bad it wasn't one of the white  NY World's Fair only phones, (I think 1964?)
Jim

I waited many years for this one to come along.  The coin relay had been ripped out, but I have a spare one of the proper vintage.  Everything else inside looks complete.  It's another "I'm-a-gonna" project for my old age.  The white sets produced for the World's Fair (yes, 1964) were F-55880.  It and its companion, F-55905, were the field trial sets for what later became the 1234G.  The World's Fair sets were all made only in white.  The other version was made in green and beige.  The 1234G was ultimately produced in green, beige, and black.  I have heard stories that it also exists in all-chrome, but I have never seen one of those.

Dennis Markham

I like that phone booth set up Dave.  Very nice.

cchaven

Beautiful payphones.  The single slot rotary isn't one I recall seeing before.  I really like the TT 3 slot too.  I have two 3-slots...one AE and one WE.  The beige AE was refurbed by GTE in the early 80's and sold.  My WE is a black 1960 233G that is pretty much original other than a previous owner wiring a 425B network inside the coin vault.

Jeff

Jim Stettler

Quote from: cchaven on October 13, 2010, 07:14:15 PM
Beautiful payphones.  The single slot rotary isn't one I recall seeing before. 
Jefff

Jeff,

That one is probably a field trial set.

they probably made several 100 of them.
-----------------------------------------------

The TT single slot is a field Trial set as well.
It is called light gray, The other color was Dark Gray (Black, like the base)
200 light gray were put in service in Northern Colorado.
200 Dark Gray were put in service in Northern CA.

This phone had self diagnostic features and could recoginize a "Susi B." $1 coin as 4 quarters. The coin slot won't accept a dollar coin.

If the $1 option was going to be used, then they would change the faceplate and dip switch setting. The $1 face plate was never designed.
{I think I can get a spare face plate and talk to the water jet folks  8)  }

They failed the CO winters. THey used them in CA and the CO sets went to CA. THey may of produced a production model.

You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

[/quote]

I waited many years for this one to come along.  The coin relay had been ripped out, but I have a spare one of the proper vintage.  Everything else inside looks complete.  It's another "I'm-a-gonna" project for my old age.  The white sets produced for the World's Fair (yes, 1964) were F-55880.  It and its companion, F-55905, were the field trial sets for what later became the 1234G.  The World's Fair sets were all made only in white.  The other version was made in green and beige.  The 1234G was ultimately produced in green, beige, and black.  I have heard stories that it also exists in all-chrome, but I have never seen one of those.
[/quote]
Dave,
Do you have any 3 slot Panel Phones ?

Jim
You live, You learn,

Jim Stettler

I just (re)found an old website regarding payphone locks.
Here is the link.
http://www.crypto.com/photos/misc/wecolock/

Jim
You live, You learn,

rdelius

This trial set used the 3 slot locks
Robby

KeithB

I was reviewing BSP documents for 1960s era phone booths, and the front-page illustration of BSP 508-231-100 (Issue 3, June 1965) is interesting for its inclusion of what appears to be a three-slot, pushbutton, panel telephone.

Dave F

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 13, 2010, 03:33:49 PM
I like that phone booth set up Dave.  Very nice.

Thanks Dennis.  I always wanted a real Bell System (KS) wood phone booth with the official Bell System lighted sign.  Most of the ones I have seen were either trashed, had one or both sides unfinished (as many times these booths were installed side-by-side in multiples), or were located so far away that the shipping cost would have been prohibitive.  A couple years ago, this nice clean one showed up here in Southern California.  A guy had bought it from an antique store for his house in Beverly Hills, but his wife didn't want it, so it went into storage in a warehouse in East L.A.   I bought it from him and carted it home in the back of my 1985 Ford Ranger pickup.  It came with that AE 3-slot in it.  At first, I couldn't take out the AE set because I didn't have an AE upper housing key.  It took a few weeks of searching on eBay before I was able to dig up the proper key, and finally got that AE phone removed.  Currently, the booth is laying horizontally on a couple of furniture dollies in my garage (right alongside my yet-to-be-restored 555PBX).  The garage is fairly well packed, albeit with some pretty good stuff.  I hear that some people have a hard time finding things to do after retirement.  I don't think I will ever have that problem.

Slightly off-topic:  I never realized how useful it would be to have a pickup truck until I bought my neighbor's Ranger back in the 90s.  Now I have two of them, and I can't imagine life without a truck.

Quote from: Jim S. on October 13, 2010, 11:42:23 PM
Dave,
Do you have any 3 slot Panel Phones ?

Jim

No Jim, but I wouldn't mind stumbling upon a 1235, which I understand is the panel version of the 1234G.

KeithB

Quote from: KeithB on October 14, 2010, 11:09:32 AM
I was reviewing BSP documents for 1960s era phone booths, and the front-page illustration of BSP 508-231-100 (Issue 3, June 1965) is interesting for its inclusion of what appears to be a three-slot, pushbutton, panel telephone.
Apologies to anyone who may have seen multiple copies of this message, and thanks in advance to Dennis if he cleaned them up.  The web proxy at work kept timing out every time I tried to post it, and even several minutes after each attempt ??? I could not see the post here.  I guess it eventually showed up?

bingster

That's quite a swanky phone booth up there.  I don't think I've ever seen one.
= DARRIN =

Jim Stettler

The 3 slot panel TT phones were only available in 10 button is my understanding.
JIm
You live, You learn,

Dennis Markham

Keith, no clean up here.  Perhaps it didn't post multiple times as you thought, or maybe the moderator of the board, Dan/Panther got it.

paul-f

Robby:  I thought your phone looked familiar.  I found this photo in a folder of info for possible future newsletter articles. (Shown with a tweaked copy of your photo on the right.)

It may help if you want to make some instruction cards for display.

I'm looking forward to your internal photos.  Perhaps the coin phone experts can spot some interesting innovations inside.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line