News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Payphone Question

Started by Sargeguy, December 16, 2010, 09:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

How much would you pay for a 1955 model 3=slot in as taken out of service condition, with original cards and no coin vault?  The paint looks good and it seems otherwise intact and not trashed.  It has its original cards and a G-series handset.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

The biggest concern on old payphones is if they are complete. Replacing missing parts ads up fast. Coin vaults can run 10-20. Locks and keys can run another $25-30 a set.

I would say the phone as described is probably worth $100-$150 as a reasonable guess.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

I assume it is a Western Electric as opposed to AE.  Probably WE if it has a G handset.  The other question is whether it has the coin relay.  For some reason, I have seen so many otherwise "complete" payphones advertised that were missing the coin relay or parts of the coin trap.  If it has a G handset, it is likely to be an early 2XX model such as a 234, which is based on 500 type technology, and used the G handset and a 685 subset.  I think Jim's estimate is accurate, but sometimes you see them going for more.  Payphones are harder to nail down as to an average like subsets and 302's.

If it is a 19X series, it would have an F handset and use a 101A induction coil inside the phone.  Since the 190's are an earlier phone, they will go for more, but I haven't followed them to really know.

-Bill G

Sargeguy

I just picked up the phone.  It is a 236G dated IV 65 (not 56 as I remembered).  I bought it from the same guy I got the "box of junk" from and was to distracted by the 202 to pay close attention.  It appears to be complete except for the door, coin vault and locks.  Some pics:

My assistant helping with the disassembly
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

That is nice. I suspect you got a good price. The vault door, coin box and lock/keys are easy enough to find.

I was told that a complete original 236 is worth around $350 collector resale value. I bought mine for $150 so I spent around $200 and bought a payphone line simulator to make it work "proper"  The payphone line simulator is also a good test "meter" for playing with your next payphone.
Jim.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Phonesrfun

Interesting.  It looks like it has a couple of differences from mine.

First of all, it does not have the transfer contacts between the upper and lower housing, but rather a DB9 or DB15 connector that unplugs.  Second, it seems to have a network from a Princess located in the bottom part of the upper housing.

I does have the coin relay.  And it comes complete with an assistant, I see.

Looks like a real nice one.

-Bill G

Shovelhead

FWIW, I bought a 233G off "Fleabay". It was listed kind of strange with a BIN of $135. I jumped quickly. The dial was sticking, a chip in the daisy ring, missing both locks and the coin vault. A 425 network was "engineered" in albeit poorly. Missing some of the coin relay parts.

Still, I cobbled it to work, bought a dial from another member here, got the locks and the top card plate from the "bay" also. Used a old G1 handset I had to replace the later plastic and armored cord that was on it. So I'm in it about $200. Not bad, not great. But I have my three slot, and will look for the coin relay parts as time goes on.

cchaven

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 17, 2010, 05:26:37 PM
The other question is whether it has the coin relay.  For some reason, I have seen so many otherwise "complete" payphones advertised that were missing the coin relay or parts of the coin trap. 

I have two 3-slot payphones..one an AE LP-82-55 that was refurbished by GTE and sold off in 1984.  GTE took the coin relay out and replaced it with a single gong ringer..as evidence by the GTE refurb label on the bottom showing the REN.  So sometimes the phone company itself may have removed the relay when selling them off.  Otherwise mine is complete and in very nice shape though.

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 17, 2010, 09:13:47 PM
First of all, it does not have the transfer contacts between the upper and lower housing, but rather a DB9 or DB15 connector that unplugs.  Second, it seems to have a network from a Princess located in the bottom part of the upper housing.

To the best of my knowledge the 236G came with the Princess-style network under the coin mechanism from the factory...as one of the last 3-slots and making it no longer require an external subset like the 233G did.  A previous owner of my 233G put a 425A network in place of the coin box..and I haven't bothered to undo that solitary mod yet since my subset for that telephone is being used by a Leich deskstand.

Jeff