News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ITT 2500 1989 - Late production components

Started by paul-f, July 08, 2015, 09:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

I normally don't spend much time with phones made after 1984, so wasn't quite prepared for what I found when locating a black "2500DM" for a friend.  I have a box of sets acquired years ago at yard sales or flea markets, and picked a nice looking one from the bottom layer.

For my quest, it had two strikes -- it was marked ITT and was so light it had obviously been gutted.

By reflex, I turned it over to see the empty slot for the ringer adjustment, and was surprised to find the adjuster was there. (Photo below.)

I plugged it into a phone tester and it worked just fine.  The ring test produced a sickly electronic warble, which explained much of the weight saving.

Opening it shows just how much empty space was shipped with that model!

I love the patriotic sticker that proclaims, "Made in Corinth, Mississippi - With PRIDE.

I also got a charge out of seeing that it has a real "Bel-Ringer."

The difference between that set (2 pounds 7 ounces) and the original 2500D (4 pounds) is impressive.

This exercise reminded me of two articles in Singing Wires written by Russ Cowell describing the brief evolution of Western Electric touch tone sets thru divestiture and beyond.  The later models also had circuit boards and electronic ringers.  The articles were in the May and August 2010 issues.  He didn't happen to include weights.

I probably have some of the later models in boxes somewhere and will make a note to weigh them if and when I come across them again.  In the meantime, does anyone have some of the later sets available?  It would be interesting to see photos and the weights.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WEBellSystemChristian

I have an ITT 2500DM from '84 that feels as heavy as a 500 from the '70s. It has a dual-gong ringer and the full-sized 425A-style network.

I'll try posting pictures tonight.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

HarrySmith

The "ringer" says made by Floyd Bell. One of Alexanders' grandkids??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"