"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1915 40AL Sniff Test

Started by Grabart, February 03, 2016, 07:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: Jack Ryan on February 05, 2016, 07:05:06 PM
The brass parts were japanned. Bower Barf cannot be applied to brass as it is a reduced form of iron. In the UK, a different oxide was applied to these brass parts. It was black oxide - a cupric oxide I think.

Jack

It's oxidized steel, not reduced.  It was applied by exposing the part at high temperature to superheated steam in a chamber for some time. This converted the surface layer to various iron oxides.  This needed to be followed by a reduction process with carbon monoxide to revert the higher oxidation states which would give the part a yellow to red tint. The lower oxidation states are gray or black.

Given the time that this all takes, I would say it was expensive to make them that way.

Jack Ryan

Quote from: unbeldi on February 05, 2016, 07:53:33 PM
It's oxidized steel, not reduced.

Thanks, I know it is oxidised and I know how it is done. I accidentally used the wrong word but used the correct word twice further on for the analogous process on brass.

Jack

zaphod01

I looked long and hard to find a 40AL I thought was original and correct. This one has the receiver hook painted to match the gray stem and base. The photo makes the hook appear more black than it actually is. The perch and transmitter are black.
"Things are never so bad they can't be made worse." - Humphrey Bogart