News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Please Help! How do I connect a Candlestick to a WE 500 network

Started by sammytheboyboy, April 06, 2017, 03:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammytheboyboy

Hello, I am fairly new at this and I am having a problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. I just purchased a candlestick desk set and am trying to wire it to an old 500 telephone as the subset. I was successful getting a dial tone and dialing out and transmitting but the hook switch does not work at all. It's like the phone is off the hook and I can't terminate the call. If I have the phone sitting and hung up, my line is busy when I try to call. Attached are some pictures of what I did. Thanks in advance. Rich.

TelePlay

How many contacts on the switch hook?

A picture would help.

sammytheboyboy

Thanks John, here is a picture.

sammytheboyboy

Hello, I am fairly new at this and I am having a problem, any help would be greatly appreciated. I just purchased a candlestick desk set and am trying to wire it to an old 500 telephone as the subset. I was successful getting a dial tone and dialing out and transmitting but the hook switch does not work at all. It's like the phone is off the hook and I can't terminate the call. If I have the phone sitting and hung up, my line is busy when I try to call. Attached are some pictures of what I did. Thanks in advance. Rich.

poplar1

(1) Red wire is connected to the subset, but not connected inside the phone.
(2) Yellow and black wires (from Y and BK on dial to subset) are probably not connected correctly. The dial shorts these together (except when pulsing out) so that is probably why you cannot hang up.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

unbeldi

Your desk stand appears to be the type 151AL, going by the hookswitch configuration that you showed and the view of the inside of the stand.
There are many previous discussions of 151Al desk stands on this forum, and with a little bit of effort you will find how to wire it correctly internally, as well as to a subscriber set.    It may already be wired correctly internally, I have not analyzed your pictures.
You should start out with the standard wiring diagram of the desk stand itself.   This includes a four-conductor mounting cord that has the wire colors black, red, green, and yellow.

Originally the set was wired to a 634A or 684A subscriber set, but it is certainly possible to use a more modern subset, or a 500 telephone base, with a 425B network, as you show in your post.  I'll try to post some diagrams later tonight.

poplar1

The standard wiring for the 4-conductor cord inside the 151-AL phone is as follows:

Red  to R on the small terminal block
Green to GN on the small terminal block
Yellow to B-Y on the other small terminal block
Black to BK on the dial

andy1702

The question is... is it a wiring problem or just dirty contacts on the switch hook?
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

poplar1

Quote from: andy1702 on April 07, 2017, 01:25:47 PM
The question is... is it a wiring problem or just dirty contacts on the switch hook?

If the blue and yellow switch hook contacts are bypassed, I don't see how dirty contacts would make any difference.

sammytheboyboy

Thank you all for your help! With a little cursing and wire rearranging it works! Thanks to all who responded! ;D