"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Say WHAT!!!

Started by Doug Rose, February 27, 2011, 07:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This is interesting. Only $1000. The world sure gone crazy!....Doug

http://cg.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190503954240&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Kidphone

dsk

But it is a nice blue color  ;D

It is a lot of bids too, somtimes we maybe have to admit to not understand, even when its hard to admit   :D

dsk

JorgeAmely

Doug, dsk:

It is the smell of soft plastic transmitted over the internet. It has been known to cause people to go crazy for a baby blue phone.

Jorge

Phonesrfun

I would never pay that kind of money for a phone.  Oops, I did when I bought an A1 a few years ago.  Ha ha.

A brand spanking new soft plastic 1957 never-been-used, new-in-the-box 500 with the open face finger wheel should have gone for big bucks, but $1,000 really is higher than I would have expected.  But, you never know.

-Bill G

Dan/Panther

We've discussed this before, This may very well be one of the FEW vintage phones that we can be sure is ORIGINAL.
Even at that we can't be sure.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Jim Stettler

$350-$500 would of been reasonable "Crazy Money" for this set. This is "Insane Money".

JMO,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Dan

I'll take this slightly used one that I lost out on for over $900 less!

http://tinyurl.com/5ropq9x

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

You and me both Dan, I'm #2 on that list.  I believe there may have been another Forum member in the mix too.

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 27, 2011, 05:45:41 PM
You and me both Dan, I'm #2 on that list.  I believe there may have been another Forum member in the mix too.

I'd say TWO other forum members for a total of 4 forum member bidders out of the 9 total bidders. This phone went for $77.77

Terry

Sargeguy

I was in there early on. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

jsowers

I was fifth place and surprised my measly bid even registered. Yes, it was very slightly used. The feet on that phone were like brand new Hush Puppies. It had the color code stamped on the bottom-unusual for aqua blue.
Jonathan

AE_Collector

At least a couple of us (probably more) on here know who the winner is but we aren't at liberty to say who it is. I find the end results of this one quite surprising actually.

Terry

GG

One way to look at this is, "one more old phone saved from an unpleasant fate."  If the price was way high, that's OK if it's in good hands.  Those of us who can't afford to go there, will always be able to find more common examples and restore them to reasonably good to excellent condition.   

Jester

Quote from: Jim S. on February 27, 2011, 04:09:38 PM
$350-$500 would of been reasonable "Crazy Money" for this set. This is "Insane Money".

JMO,
Jim

Since this set is 57 color offering that was actually made in 57, I'd say Jim's estimate range is right for the "crazy" end.  I recently went "crazy" & won this New In The Box Aqua 500 a couple weeks ago.  All of the dates are 9/58 or III 58.  The box is newer & is not as nice as the one above.  The feet are neoprene, not suede.  And, perhaps the biggest "value killer" for some collectors, a big brown spot on the lower left side of the cover, right underneath the rear cradle ear.  The seller described it as nickel-sized-- it's more dime or penny sized.  Those of us who collect 500's recognize this spot as the brownish staining caused by the rubber ringer mount gassing off.  If it's close to the cover, this collects on the plastic and stains it.  In the case of soft plastic, high concentrations of this compound can eventually migrate all the way through the cover & be seen on the outside, which is what has happened here.  This is one of two phones I know of where this has happened.  The other one is Dennis' Rose Pink 554.  My guess as to why, when you don't usually see that spot get dark enough to make it through the plastic; it's because both these phones sat in the box for fifty+ years.  All that time, out of sight, set somewhere with no temp. control, with no ventilation around the cover & base.  This is why these two are so badly stained.  Even so, it was still new in the box, does display nicely.
http://tinyurl.com/3hcefw9

Stephen

JorgeAmely

Steven:

I agree that the brown stain is not nice to have, but at least it is an indicator that it sat still for decades in a very quiet atmosphere for this staining to take place. That sort of adds value to the fact that it was never installed.
Jorge