"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Modular Adapters and 4 Prong Plugs/Jacks for Spade Cords

Started by ntophones, November 23, 2009, 01:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unbeldi

Quote from: unbeldi on May 21, 2014, 12:14:37 PM

*1962: A 1966 New York Telephone supply catalog lists 283B-42 (beige), -50 (ivory), and -54 (brown) colors, as of 5/62 (page date). colors -50 and -54 supersede -4 and -9, respectively.

The color -42, formally described as "beige", is a curiously strange color not often found. Here is a picture of what it looks like.  [color code was confirmed by consultation with another collector who owns the NYT catalog.]

AFAIK, the color -42 was used only for wiring and 2012A transformers (until June 1968, 501-136-100 Issue 3)

Doug Rose

if you need one, I have one for sale in this group....Doug

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291149879018
Kidphone

tallguy58

Is there such thing as a modular adapter that allows you to screw two spade connectors to it?

I have a two conductor line cord coming out of a phone and need an adapter so that I can plug in into the wall.

Any ideas??
Cheers........Bill

twocvbloke

A mini surface-mount RJ11 wall socket, used in reverse, so you wire the phone to the socket, and then have a modular cable run from the socket to the wall, easy... :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380908667973

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: twocvbloke on June 10, 2014, 05:32:06 PM
A mini surface-mount RJ11 wall socket, used in reverse, so you wire the phone to the socket, and then have a modular cable run from the socket to the wall, easy... :)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380908667973

I used to buy these all the time at local dollar stores, but most of the store have recently replaced them with the type which consists of a four terminal mounting block and a crew on cover.  The replacement type is not nearly as suitable for this use.

Larry

tallguy58

Good idea.  Thanks
Cheers........Bill

princessphone

For what it's worth. Using these wall mounts (jacks) in reverse will work fine if the phone is not polarity sensitive. However the polarity of the wires may end up being reversed.
Rewiring my house I used a few of these jacks in reverse in order to simplify things with expansion boards, filters, junction boxes etc. Didn't realize that these little guys can reverse the polarity. This really messed my mind.
Best regards, John DeJonge 

LarryInMichigan

If the wires are in the right places, these jacks will not change the polarity.  I expect that most technicians/electricians these days do not pay any attention to the polarity when installing phone wiring because the polarity has not mattered to new phones for quite a few years now.

Larry

poplar1

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on June 10, 2014, 11:06:05 PM
If the wires are in the right places, these jacks will not change the polarity.  I expect that most technicians/electricians these days do not pay any attention to the polarity when installing phone wiring because the polarity has not mattered to new phones for quite a few years now.

Larry

The wall jack by definition is the reverse of the 623 jack inside a modular phone, because the line cord plugs are mirror image of each other. So when you use one of these biscuit jacks as an adaptor, you have to reverse the polarity of the line cord, i.e., put the red spade tip wire on the green terminal of the jack, and the green wire on the red terminal.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

princessphone

Thanks Poplar1. John

Babybearjs

.....and I thought I was the only one who used this idea......
John

andre_janew

A long time ago, one could find a modular plug in various types of stores that one could use to replace a 4 prong plug.  All that was needed was a simple screwdriver.  Nowadays,  where can one find such a modular plug?  What does one do when all they have are three spade terminals at the end of the line cord?

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Dominic_ContempraPhones

All classical RJs flip the polarity -- they're like ethernet x-over cables.  BRGY (jack side) to YGRB (phone side) on fully modular, so you have to keep track.  Even a coupler or extension cord will reverse.

Why the heck did WE do that? ... it's not like phones could talk to each other without a switch in between.  It was a real pain.

Alex G. Bell

Quote from: Dominic_ContempraPhones on July 04, 2017, 11:05:27 PM
All classical RJs flip the polarity -- they're like ethernet x-over cables.  BRGY (jack side) to YGRB (phone side) on fully modular, so you have to keep track.  Even a coupler or extension cord will reverse.

Why the heck did WE do that? ... it's not like phones could talk to each other without a switch in between.  It was a real pain.
I agree that it was a dumb move that has caused no end of confusion.  The reason they did it was to facilitate mfr of flat cords.  Flat cords have a rib along one side.  The plugs are installed with the latching key facing the rib on both ends since otherwise the person assembling the cord would have to remember to do the two ends differently.  Given the monotony of the job there probably would be lots of errors.  So it's the flat cords which inherently flip polarity, requiring mirror image jacks on the telephone base and the wall. 

Most modular round cords do not, although in some cases there are versions as well which do e.g. the very widely used D8W used on Merlin sets does not flip polarity but there is also a D8AA (IIRC) which does.

Properly made cord couplers also flip polarity so that when multiple flat cords which flip polarity are connected end to end through the coupler there will be an odd number of reversals and a net reversal end-end.  But many of the cord couplers on the market today are produced by shoddy mfrs who have failed to maintain this standard.  Properly made extension cords with a male and female end also do not flip polarity since they have a male and female end but there surely is junk out there too.