News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 500 Series Set, With 425A Network, And C2A Ringer.

Started by Dan/Panther, June 05, 2010, 11:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I'm not sure all of the models that use the 425A network, with the C2A Ringer, so I just listed it as 500.
Please P.M. with a list if you know.
Paul F, tells me the following 500 sets came with the 425A Network, How many had C2A ringers of the following is to be determined.

500T

500A, 500B
500J, 500K

501T

501A, 501B
501J, 501K
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Tom B

D/P
Is there a difference with the wiring of a 500 with a C2A ringer and 425B network, or is it the same as the c4A and 425B?

Cheers,

Tom
Tom

Phonesrfun

Yes.  The C2A only has two wires, red and black.  The C4A has 4 wires. 

To connect the C2A to the 425B network, connect the red ringer wire to L2 on the network, and connect the black wire to A on the network.  Connect a short jumper wire from K to L1.

-Bill G

Adam

I hate to contradict you (really, I do!) but I have a 1953 500 base with a C2A ringer, and as you can clearly see from the pics I just took, my C2A ringer has 4 wires.
Adam Forrest
Los Angeles Telephone - A proud part of the global C*Net System
C*Net 1-383-4820

Phonesrfun

Well, dang.  There is a 2-wire version of the C series ringer, and without checking any documents, I just blurted out my post thinking that since the question was asked, Tom was asking about that one.

Tom, with 4 wires, the C2 ringer would connect exactly the same as a C4.

Now I'm going to have to go and look to see which is the 2 wire version.

And, Dave, it is no problem for me to get corrected. 
-Bill G

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

Adam

Well, dang, me too.  I thought I had a 1957 500 with a C3A in it, meaning I would have had  one of each, C2A, C3A and C4A, in my collection.  But just now looking closer, the 3 is a 4.

:(
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Tom B

Tom

Adam

Bill might know.  I don't own one.  (Only hallucinated that I did...)
Adam Forrest
C*Net 1-383-4820

Phonesrfun

The C3 is a straight line ringer with a single coil.  The C2 and C4 are a split coil ringer.  The impedance of the single coil ringers are the same as the sum of the split coil ringers. 

Why have ths split coil, you ask? 

ANI.  Automatic Number Identification.  Back when there were party lines, the toll equipment needed a way to tell which party was making a long distance call.

The coil was not split evenly in half.  More like about 1/3, 2/3.  Depending on which side was referenced to ground, the toll equipment could tell which party was making a call.
-Bill G