News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric 2500-D Desk Set Pink in Color

Started by Ktownphoneco, September 21, 2016, 06:59:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktownphoneco

I don't normally buy, restore or sell telephones that are this "young", but when I spotted this set on eBay a week and a half ago, I couldn't resist bidding on it.      As you can see, it's "pink", and there aren't a lot of "pink" Northern 2500 series sets floating around in this world, or at least, not that I've noticed over the past 25 years.     My digital camera has added what appear to be "staining", but in actual fact aren't there, or at least, they're not visible with the naked eye.
As it turned out, I was the only bidder on the set, and it ended up at my house.

The only cosmetic "fly in the ointment" which I was aware of prior to the bidding on the set, was a small stress crack located at the bottom of the T/T/ dial trim bezel.     It pays to make sure these sets have a relaxed fit between the T/T dial pad and the trim bezel which surrounds them.     I've started a repair of the issue, and hopefully once it's sanded and polished, the blemish will be all but invisible.
The handset has obviously aged differently that the telephone's case, but sanding and polishing should rectify that problem.
Every component or part on this telephone is dated 1971.     The T/T dial turns out to be polarity sensitive.      It's a NE 35Q3AX.     According to my 1981 Bell Canada Station Installation & Repair Manual, a NE35QA1 has a polarity guard circuit incorporated into the T/T pad's circuitry, but a NE35Q3AX does not.
Since I had 4 AT&T polarity guard circuit boards legally in my possession, I decided to add one to this telephone set.
I consulted with, and obtained the assistance of  "Unbeldi" with respect to the correct connections of the AT&T polarity guard circuit board.      Through Karl's knowledge and expertise, and my finesse with a "screw driver", the polarity guard was successfully installed, and now this telephone operates perfectly regardless of  the "Tip – Ring" configuration.
As an additional bonus to the installation of the polarity guard circuit board, Northern created a hole in the T/T/ pad support bracket on the left hand side.      As is evident in the photographs, the polarity guard circuit board attaches perfectly to the bracket, keeping the board, and any connections, well away from any metal parts of the base assembly.
Once I have the set sanded and polished, I'll add some additional pictures.    I haven't decided whether I'll keep the set or sell it.      I'm a "woody", brass and steel collector, but this set is pretty, and not that common.

Thanks Karl for all of your help !!

Jeff Lamb

HarrySmith

Nice one! Should look great once you restore it, Welcome to plastic!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Nice find Jeff, Put me on the radar if you decide to sell. As you know I'm into Northern Plastic.

Doug

Ktownphoneco

I finally found some time to bring this set back to something close to what it looked like when it came out of the box.    It's definitely a "pretty" telephone.     I also finally took the time to do something I've wanted to attempt for some time, and that was to figure out how to install an "RJ11" jack on the end of the older style factory line cords.    As is evident in the pictures, this set has a matching line cord, which was designed to terminate in a metal or plastic baseboard or wall mounted terminal box.      Not a real convenient situation given today's wall jacks.
Here's the pictures.
Have a great day.

Jeff Lamb

unbeldi

oh my...  It's how Pink is done !

8)

unbeldi

Ktownphoneco

Thanks Karl and Doug.    Yes, there's no doubt about the color.    I think this one may just join it's father, grandfather and great grandfather in my display case.

Jeff

Kenton K

Nice job. I love the color.

Years ago I tried to turn one of my phone's hardwired cords modular; it didn't really work too well. I found there are nice junction boxes that let you convert hardwire into a modular plug. Plus, this lets you keep the original cord intact, which I think is very important to most phones. A modular plug can look out of place on a 1950 500.

http://www.vetco.net/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=12690

KK

Pourme

2500 looks "pretty in pink"....

Very nice job!

I just came into possession of a pink 500, hope I can do as well as you did on this project!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Ktownphoneco

Thanks Pourme.     Good luck with the 500 set.

Kenton ....  Thanks for your comments.      Regarding the terminal boxes you mention, I use them when I restore Princess sets to integrate the transformer power cord and line cord with the factory color matched line cord going to the set itself.     I initially had one on this pink set, but it didn't look good at all, so I went with the RJ11 male jack.        The only colors I can find the plastic terminal boxes in are white and ivory.       If I could've found one in "pink", it might have been a different story.
But thanks for your suggestion.

Jeff

podor

poplar1

I don't know when Bell Canada started using the connecting blocks with hinged cover, rather than a 42A connecting block, but weren't these available only in two or three colors, to match the station wire? I have seen WE 283B (4-prong) plugs in matching pink, if you wanted to go that route. I don't think the jacks or blocks ever matched the phone colors.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Ktownphoneco

Yes, your right.   I don't ever recall connection blocks for line cords ever matching the actual line cord attached to the set itself.     Northern's T-9 Catalog is the first one which shows the plastic hinged connection block.     I believe it's printing date was 1962.      The 42A's are in the T-8 Catalog, which I believe was printed in 1954.       They are listed with a choice of ivory or brown.
I'm surprised Old Phone Works hasn't had the plastic connection blocks made in matching cord colors.   I'm sure there'd be a market for them with collectors.   Most of everything they sell is aimed at  telephone collectors, why not reproduction collector blocks.

Jeff

Ktownphoneco

Poplar1 ...    Just a little bit of connection block trivia.     I meant to mention this connection block assembly last night, and hit the "post" button before I remembered.    I'm probably pushing this into another posting category, but the other connection block that both Western and Northern used for a number of years, which extended the available color selection was the 44-A connection block.     It could be "ganged" and used with 3 available sizes of the type 101 covers.    According to Northern's T-9 catalog, the type 101 covers were available in "blue-beige", "light olive gray" and "ivory".   It was kind of a connection block for "all things" involving telephones and wiring. 
Page from T-9 Attached.

Jeff