News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone Collect Antique Fans?

Started by BDM, July 05, 2009, 03:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

I have a few nice old ones from the teens and 20s. I'd hate to even consider what this would cost. Given the fact it has "Western Electric" tacked on.

Web site
http://www.hudsonscustommachining.com/
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

McHeath

Gee, pretty.  And with that magic label it would bring a penny or two methinks. 

JorgeAmely

BDM;

Let me put my shades on to protect my eyes from the glare.

Umm, no expert here, but considering that it says Western Electric, and you are asking the right crowd, I would say in the $2-3k range.

Jorge

HobieSport

There's something very cool about old fans, no pun intended.
-Matt

benhutcherson

I don't collect them, per se, but have a few.

My first one was an Emmerson Electric model. I found it in dear old Aunt Martha's basement, on the shelf right next to my first old telephone, an AE40. I'd guess this one to be from the '50s some time. At one time, she and her husband, an electrical engineer for the L&N, lived in a camp car at Cincinnatti Union Station. The fan and the phone, along with a few other items I have, were part of the furnishings issued to them by the L&N.

The second is a GE 12" from I don't know when. I picked it up out of someone's garbage about a year ago. It works great, and the price was right.

Both of these are in pretty regular use. They move as much air as most of the 18"-24" pedestal fans you can buy, while being virtually silent as compared to the awful racket that the newer fans make. The only downside is that they can take a finger off if you're not careful.

JorgeAmely

Ben:

I like your kind of prices.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

BDM

Here's an example of a late teens early 20s Westinghouse, on my messy work desk. It's about a 10" model, very quiet, and moves air like a tornado! It's no exaggeration.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

foots

That Westinghouse sure is nice. I have an old fan at my brother's house that I'm working on. I can't recall the make of it at the moment. I'm planning on picking up one or two more old fans though, to replace the Chinese crap that I have now. Like BDM says, they move lots of air, plus they're built to last and most are pretty stylish.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

BDM

One note of caution. I'm sure this has occurred to most when observing these fans. It's real easy for a child or house pet to put a limb/hand/paw where it doesn't belong. Some of these are fairly low torque motors, added with bakelite blades they're not as dangerous as you may suspect. BUT...........But..............The larger ones, especially the brass bladed variety are extremely dangerous to small hands. I have a GE 16" AO brass blade fan that could probably remove a small finger, or severely damage a small hand or paw. Please keep this in mind should you start playing with these :-X
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill Cahill

I collect old fans. I only have a few so far.
My favorite is a late 30's GE 12" fan with aluminum blades.
Recently won an 8" Emerson from early 40's from ebay.
Have a weird 30's 16" industrial strenghth  rated at 15 Amps, 240 volts.
Also have another 115 volt 16" late 30's fan.
I love these old fans.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dennis Markham

I don't collect them----yet, but I do have a couple and use them both when needed.  One is a small oscillating GE from the '50's and the other is this Eskimo 45R.  I don't know when it was made but it's heavy and pushes some air.  It is also an oscillating fan.  I bought it at a flea market for $10 a couple of summers ago.  It was a consolation purchase after finding no old phones worthy of taking home.  I have cleaned it up a bit but it could use some new paint.  Maybe refurbishing old fans will be my next passion.

mienaichizu

I remember we have also antique fan when I was a kid but my father sold it to a junk collector

McHeath

"Eskimo" eh?  Optimistic name considering the time period.  I recall visiting familia back in Oklahoma before they had AC in the summers, and for this California kid it was shockingly miserable.  Some of them had evaporative coolers which served up even more humidity, as if the usual amount was not enough.  We'd sleep in front of fans, and sweat all night. 

benhutcherson

I've been on the hunt for a while for a "Polar Cub" brand fan, made by the A.C. Gilbert company. Although I don't collect fans per se, any AC Gilbert product has a place in one of my various collections.

Greg G.

Quote from: BDM on July 05, 2009, 03:05:28 PM
I have a few nice old ones from the teens and 20s. I'd hate to even consider what this would cost. Given the fact it has "Western Electric" tacked on.

Now look what you've gone and done, sent me searching for fans!  Wadaya think of this one, should I grab it?  I could use a small fan in my bedroom:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/fuo/1262664866.html
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e