"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

TREA -BOYE clock/lamp/cigar lighter

Started by Pourme, January 19, 2021, 08:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

Today I was seeking phones and ran across this. I've grown to know the proprietor over the years of searching his establishment for CRAP. He had done his research and I hadn't. It is a 50's novelty lamp. This company located in Brooklyn, NY, made many different colorful styles. https://tinyurl.com/y4yebpkp

He was asking $50.00, we settled on $40.00. It cleaned up nicely though, some of the paint is chipping off with age. The randomness of the finish hides the flaws well. The cord was recently replaced. I disconnected the cigar lighter without testing. The lamp works but the clock doesn't. I don't mind the clock not working, it would probably be too noisy any way. I'm also good that it has lit it's last cig, as well.

It came with a shade that I decided wasn't original until I saw one with the same shade online. To rough to use. The pictured shade is one I had on the shelf, it probably will be changed.

It's kind of cool, adds color & light to some black phone's display.

~
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

Benny

Key2871

Very interesting, I've never seen anything like it. But at least someone didn't canbalize a phone to make it.
KEN

Pourme

~

Agreed!

"every phone room needs a lamp"

Benny

RB

Jim Stettler

I have seen 2 of those for sale., Both were beige $70 and $110. I didn't care for the color or price.

I really like the color of your lamp, and it was a nice price.
Good Find,
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Which of those shades did yours come with? If metal with just a few dings you could use a tap hammer to gently knock them out.

A similar paint finish to that one can still be purchased if you want to try and match another shade up. I have a couple of cans someplace. It comes in a rattlecan, sprays out the main colour with small colour flecks. Almost like a fine plastic colour fleck.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Pourme

~

Here is the original shade. It uses the metal mount, where the black one clips on the bulb & causes it to set higher so you can see the phone better. 
Benny

Doug Rose

Benny ....very nice. I would get one of the of AA Clock replacements so that the clock works. You can even get them that tick. They are cheap online.

If you have a Battery clock around, you can steal the movement. I used to buy old clocks at yard sales and use the clock movements.

I found a wood Seth Thomas that was in pieces, thankfully the glass was good!

Also have a GE in our Master Bathroom, when it died I put in the AA clock movement. No cord for Jan to complain about...Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

~

All good suggestions, Doug. I'd want to keep the original face & lens, so I will look into a new movement that is as close to silent as possible. There is a grandfather clock that (loudly) works and two disabled coco clocks within feet of the lamp.

The original shade is beginning to grow on me.
Benny

Doug Rose

Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: Pourme on January 20, 2021, 05:42:11 AM
Here is the original shade...

That shade looks fine. In the photo it looks a good colour match for the sofa and it throws light nicely over the phones. Plus the blue draws the eye to the ensemble.  :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

paul-f

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Pourme

~

Good points CJ. I cleaned the shade best I could without damaging it & did some minor repair. It's there to stay.

Paul-F, I have a shade very close to that one that needs to be restored but it's light green, no match. I'll get it out and post some pictures. A matching shade like that would look nice!
Benny

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Pourme on January 20, 2021, 08:23:59 AM
~

All good suggestions, Doug. I'd want to keep the original face & lens, so I will look into a new movement that is as close to silent as possible. There is a grandfather clock that (loudly) works and two disabled coco clocks within feet of the lamp.

The original shade is beginning to grow on me.

Check with American Time and Signal
https://www.american-time.com/products-by-family/clock-parts-and-repairs/movement-kits

They state they have replacement movements for clocks back to the 1940's .
I would call them and ask their opinion on the best movement that will work with the original hands.

I have been using this company for 15 years.
Jim

We used to be their largest customer west of the Mississippi.
They  listen to feedback and have  changed the design of their clocks to make them more user friendly,  based on feedback received.
I like a company that does that.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.