and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric Type A to Type F US Navy Phones

Started by ntophones, January 06, 2010, 02:27:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

more photos:

Nick in Manitou

It seems that somewhere there should be information about that contract number. I just tried a Google search on it, but didn't come up with any information.

I have a few Navy phones and was able to find information about what ship one of them was on based on the contract number. (I will have to find my old notes and see what the source of that information was...but it would have been the result of a Google search.)

I would GUESS that the '74' in the contract number is the year of the contract, but that doesn't agree with the seller's statement of the history of the phone.

Nick

countryman

Thinking it over, it would make sense that a 1957 phone was installed on the ship in 1962, which then was overhauled in 1974. The "57" stamp seems to be a bit offset compared to the "11-74". The elements are also from '74 (renewed at the overhaul?).

MADhouseTelephone

Just picked up this one. Not going to say how much it cost (!), but it is complete and polished up. Stamped USN inside cover. Unique latch on outside. The only components with dates are the transmitter and receiver, both dated March, 1945. There is a very slight bit of corrosion at the bottom of the cover. The insides are on a hinged plate with 16 brass screws holding it shut. There is one like this pictured at the beginning of this section, but it has no cover.

If anyone can help ID the model and the ship it came out of, please do.     
ADavid, MADhouse Telephone

Doug Rose

Kidphone

RDPipes

What dreams are made of........at least mine, LOL!

Nick in Manitou

In response to Countryman's entry showing the contract number on his Navy phone:
From the website https://www.armynavywarehouse.com/post/contract-number-dating I just copied the following:

Nick

countryman

Very interesting, so you think that '74 is the original manufacturing date of the phone? It was a quite "conventional" design by that time already. But maybe what the military wanted. The plate clearly states  US property, while it allegedly was off of a West German ship built in the US in 1962? Why would it be labelled US property if delivered as a spare part?
Maybe the seller was just in error or told me old wive's tales... a nice phone however ;)
I'll add a clearer pic of the plate:

MADhouseTelephone

Quote from: MADhouseTelephone on January 22, 2023, 09:59:29 PMJust picked up this one. Not going to say how much it cost (!), but it is complete and polished up. Stamped USN inside cover. Unique latch on outside. The only components with dates are the transmitter and receiver, both dated March, 1945. There is a very slight bit of corrosion at the bottom of the cover. The insides are on a hinged plate with 16 brass screws holding it shut.

Thanks to Steve Hilsz, I got a proper white number/black face number plate for the dial:

Doug Rose

Did Steve tell you it should be a white dial plate?

I have two different and both have the Black with White letters.

Steve has forgotten more than I will ever know. I trust him. One of the good guys....Doug

Kidphone

MADhouseTelephone

The white plate was one I had. The phone came with a numbers/letters plate and I put in the white numbers only plate while waiting for the black one. Now all is right.

Doug Rose

Quote from: MADhouseTelephone on February 07, 2023, 11:06:49 AMThe white plate was one I had. The phone came with a numbers/letters plate and I put in the white numbers only plate while waiting for the black one. Now all is right.
got it....thanks...great phone....Doug
Kidphone

countryman

My phone from above seems to have a twin:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/175674813005