News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic Electric 66BZ Payphone with Stromberg-Carlson dial and handset

Started by SUnset2, March 01, 2023, 11:38:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SUnset2

I recently got this Automatic Electric Payphone with Stromberg-Carlson dial and handset.

There is no badge on the top, but inside it is marked 66BZ.  AE Technical Bulletin 702-86 (from the TCI Library) has a wiring diagram for a 66-E-10, and describes it as a semi postpay.  I can't find any information on the 66BZ.  Does anybody know what this model number means?  Is there any more complete documentation?

It's unusual in that it has a Stromberg-Carlson dial and handset.  These appear to be the types used on the early 1443.  Would this have been normal for an AE payphone to have S-C parts?  Would it be more authentic with handset and dial from an AE40? 

There are some loose parts including what looks like a small selenium rectifier.  I will try to hook these back up according to the 66-E-10 schematic.

The upper housing has a 29-S lock, but no key.  Are all 29-S keys interchangeable?  I see some 29-S keys on Ebay, but they don't all look like the same cut.  Where should I look for a key?

There had been a notification flap (or whatever you call them) over the coin gauge, but it is broken off.  does anybody know what it likely would have said?  Is it possible to get a replacement?  (It might be possible to make one from acrylic).  I assume it would have a postpay type instruction card.

MMikeJBenN27

These probably are what was laying around at the time they were needed.  I don't think AE used SC parts on the phones when they were manufactured.

Mike

G-Man

Not at all unusual.

Gray and their successor, Automatic Electric always provided dials, induction coils, condensors and handsets, sourced from Kellogg, Western Electric, Stromberg-Carlson, North, Graybar or even Leich when requested by the telephone company that was purchasing their paystations.

Typically the telephone company desired the same repair parts and components that they were already stocking. Some even perceived that a particular manufacturer's transmission components or dials were superior to those of other manufacturers.

This negated the need to stock replacements that were exclusively needed for AECo even though they may have furnished their subscribers with telephone sets manufactured by other companies.

In other words, why stock AECo dials for a handful of paystations when you could draw from your repair parts inventory of Kellogg parts?

G-Man

Also, Gray and successor Automatic Electric allowed other manufacturers to distribute their paystations; otherwise the telcos were allowed to purchase direct.
This allowed a telco to finance a single order from say, North Electric, without having to deal with multiple contracts from various manufacturers, i.e., one-stop financing.

G-Man

Quote from: SUnset2 on March 01, 2023, 11:38:23 PMThere are some loose parts including what looks like a small selenium rectifier.  I will try to hook these back up according to the 66-E-10 schematic.

The upper housing has a 29-S lock, but no key.  Are all 29-S keys interchangeable?  I see some 29-S keys on Ebay, but they don't all look like the same cut.  Where should I look for a key?

There had been a notification flap (or whatever you call them) over the coin gauge, but it is broken off.  does anybody know what it likely would have said?  Is it possible to get a replacement?  (It might be possible to make one from acrylic). 

29S locks are keyed alike and unless damaged or modified, should open with a standard 29S key. If you currently do not have a key why do you think it will not work?

You may be able to purchase a replacement directly from resident payphone gurus, Stan S. or Jim Engle.

Also, the "rectifier" is possibly a varistor for use as a click suppressor. What is the number on it (such as 3A?)?

Acrylic Coin Gauge Guards were often used with paystations that required the user to follow instructions that deviated from normal prepay payphones. This alleviated becoming embroiled in disputes with the customer and having to issue refunds.

G-Man

What is the number for the condenser and WECo 101-type induction coil?

Perhaps you can provide a more detailed photo of both.

Also, have you removed the screws behind the coin gauge, that secure the mount that secures the acrylic coin gauge guard and look underneath it for a nomenclature plate that shows the model number of your paystation?

SUnset2

Quote from: G-Man on March 02, 2023, 07:52:52 AMWhat is the number for the condenser and WECo 101-type induction coil?
Perhaps you can provide a more detailed photo of both.
The condenser is just marked 2MF - 2MF.
The 101A is marked IND 101A and I 52.

Quote from: G-Man on March 02, 2023, 07:52:52 AMAlso, have you removed the screws behind the coin gauge, that secure the mount that secures the acrylic coin gauge guard and look underneath it for a nomenclature plate that shows the model number of your paystation?
There is no plate under the coin gauge guard bracket.  The coin gauge guard is marked KS-8487-L2, so that would mean that before it got broken off, it would have said "READ" with a down arrow.

Thanks for the information about the options for handsets and dials from various manufacturers.  It looks like this has some WE as well as Stromberg-Carlson parts.

I am attaching a photo of what I think is a selenium rectifier, and an arrow pointing to it on the schematic.

Payphone installer

Nice original model 66 A/E payphone post pay with a rare Bakelite shroud and Graay number ring.

G-Man

Quote from: SUnset2 on March 02, 2023, 07:59:45 PMThe condenser is just marked 2MF - 2MF.
The 101A is marked IND 101A and I 52.

Thanks for the information about the options for handsets and dials from various manufacturers.  It looks like this has some WE as well as Stromberg-Carlson parts.

I am attaching a photo of what I think is a selenium rectifier, and an arrow pointing to it on the schematic.
Unfortunately your wiring diagram does not match the set. I believe it is instead a 96-E-10 (or similar) semi-postpay instrument which is equipped with a WECo 101A induction coil.

It came stock with either a WECo or AECo dial and a WECo F-type handset.

Back in the day some telcos thought that the WECo transmission circuit was superior to AECo's so these sets were primarily used at locations where there was heavy toll traffic.

And again, if the local telco wanted, they could order it with another manufacturer's handset and/or dial.

When I get a chance, I'll check my AECo Practices further to verify the correct model.

SUnset2

Even though the Phone is marked 66BZ, the 96E10 diagram is definitely closer.  It's hard to trace the wires; the color coding has faded and the wires are all dark gray.

G-Man

Quote from: SUnset2 on March 03, 2023, 01:01:01 AMEven though the Phone is marked 66BZ, the 96E10 diagram is definitely closer.  It's hard to trace the wires; the color coding has faded and the wires are all dark gray.

I would first suggest that you connect a telephone line to L1 and L2 and see if dialtone is present. It does look as if some of the wires that were removed from their respective terminals have since been restored in your subsequent photos.

Are there still others that we unable to see that are also disconnected?

If so, while monitoring through the receiver, start connecting them back to the terminals where it would appear they were originally connected.

Otherwise, it would be best to not switch wires around without documenting where they were first connected.

Deciphering the color code on old telephone wiring can be daunting at times. I often find that using an old toothbrush or papertowel that has been dipped in denatured alcohol and gently scrubbing a portion of them will often reveal their original colors once they start drying.

And while the jpeg below relates to a prepay set, it does show that AECo offered a range of paystations with WECo components.