News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Anyone Collect Antique Fans?

Started by BDM, July 05, 2009, 03:05:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

Terry, I thought it was just me.  I didn't see a phone in the photo Doug posted of his fan either.  I see it in the new reply just posted but not the one mentioned earlier.  Perhaps Briny was commenting to a different post in this post??

Wallphone

For some reason Doug edited his posting and removed the pictures.
Dougpav

AE_Collector

Okay, that's what I thought a GECophone was..comes from GEC, the manufacturer. GPO never bothered to adopt them as a new wall phone since they had lots of wall phones available when everyone was switching over to desk phones. Therefore the GECophone isn't seen very often, especially in North America.

I have several of these available, another retirement project to check that they work and sell them. They are a very unique bakelite wall phone.

Terry

RDP

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 16, 2010, 07:42:29 AM
I have two Western Electric fans. Both are in working condition, one is a small black fan that was used on switchboards. The second is this beauty that I found on Craig's List 5 years ago for $10.....Doug

Doug, Just to let you know, your Western Electric was manufactured by Westinghouse about 1912-1915.

RDP

Quote from: Dennis Markham on August 15, 2010, 10:51:32 PM
I thought I'd dust off this topic and post a few photos of a fan I picked up today at the flea market.  Of course I was searching for telephones and did spot a couple.  I even picked up (off the table) a 302 and set it back down again.  It was not cracked, had a #5 dial and a nice original exchange card.  Seller wanted $35.  I thought I'd return later and make an offer.

Out of the corner of my eye I spotted a nice looking GE fan.   I already own three other GE fans from the mid to late 1950's, but nothing like this one.  It is a Vortalex.  This blue-green colored fan is from the early part of the 50's decade.  The blade has four wings and this one has is a three speed.  The seller wanted $15 and didn't want to budge on the price.  I figured it is worth all of that and but more importantly a cool oscillating fan (no pun intended) that I'll enjoy using.  So I paid the $15 and lugged it to the car.  It weighs a ton.

After I got home I spent the next six to seven hours taking it apart and cleaning it.  I did a pretty thorough job on it without removing the motor covers.  I did remove the grille and blade and also removed the top part from the stand.  It has some minor corrosion but overall turned out nice.  The bottom has a nice felt pad.  I think even the cord is original.

So I took a break from phones today and worked on the General Electric Vortalex.  Now I have a total of six old fans.  I need to find some more room.

By the way, I never returned for the 302.  If it's still there on  Tuesday I may try and drag that home too.

The first picture is the dirty "before" photo.

The wire cage has been repaired at the top where someone welded it.  It has a flat appearance as a result.

Well Dennis, I thought at one time that I was able to email you but must have been mistaken. So, I'll post the photos here that I mentioned in the PM in hopes that you see them.
GE 16" Voratlex and here's a late model Emerson I got crazy with.

Doug Rose

Quote from: RDP on March 12, 2011, 11:35:21 AM
Quote from: Doug Rose on August 16, 2010, 07:42:29 AM
I have two Western Electric fans. Both are in working condition, one is a small black fan that was used on switchboards. The second is this beauty that I found on Craig's List 5 years ago for $10.....Doug

Doug, Just to let you know, your Western Electric was manufactured by Westinghouse about 1912-1915.
Ron....Really? I had no idea it was that old. It is in working condition....thanks....Doug
Kidphone

RDP

Yes sir, You stole it by the way. These go for a lot more even though they are stamped steel. Your second photo looks like it's a stationary fan but, the rear motor housing may be on upside down. The oiler should be on the bottom.

Dennis Markham

Very nice fans Ron.  Beautiful paint jobs.  Thank you for posting them.

My e-mail address is correct on my profile page.  Don't know why you had trouble e-mailing me.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 12, 2011, 06:56:56 PM
Very nice fans Ron.  Beautiful paint jobs.  Thank you for posting them.

My e-mail address is correct on my profile page.  Don't know why you had trouble e-mailing me.
Dennis...your email is hidden.

Ron outstanding paint on your fans, really quite cool. You should paint a few phones like that!! I'd love a 302 like the detailed black fan. Taking orders?...Doug
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Doug, thanks.  I guess I could always see it while I was logged on.  I've modified it now.  Sorry, I thought it was available all this time.

RDP

Thank you Dennis and Doug for your compliments, they are much appreciated.

Doug, Sorry I only do my own and what I sell on eBay. That way there are no over expectations of my work and what they see is what they get.
Sadly, I sold the Pearl Gold and Black Emerson and wish I hadn't so, I have to do one for myself now.

Oh! Dennis, your email is still not showing.

Dennis Markham

Quote from: RDP on March 12, 2011, 07:24:21 PM

Well I must not have hit the "save changes" button.  I have done it again.  Please let me know if it doesn't show this time.

RDP

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 12, 2011, 08:08:16 PM
Quote from: RDP on March 12, 2011, 07:24:21 PM

Well I must not have hit the "save changes" button.  I have done it again.  Please let me know if it doesn't show this time.

Dennis, it worked this time!

Dan

I want an old fan (prefer oscillating) for my desk to match the WE302, old radio, etc to give it a period look.

I have seen them all over the map at the antiques show from $10 to 200.

I saw a Western Electric today that looked like the brass blades were painted, but it looked nice and was $95 but I passed because of the paint. I liked the WE logo on the front.

Any brands more desirable than others?

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

rp2813

I like my late 40's GE Vortalex.  It can really move some air.  I have mine in the garage shop because it's not in perfectly pristine condition and because it's industrial strength with regard to how it's built and how it does its job.  Some fan collectors say the Vortalex models are very quiet but depending on proximity, there is still the familiar whine of the GE motor to be heard.

By the way, I picked this fan up in the late 70's for $5 at a thrift store.
Ralph