News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

How many of you actually use your antique phones?

Started by BDM, September 21, 2008, 04:19:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So, how many are actually using their phones?

I have no modern phones
several at any given moment
Maybe one hooked up, when I'm in the mood
Hardly ever. Besides, they scare the kids
Heck no! Are you kidding? Display only!!

troydog

I only use the good old buys for my phone calls at home. I got a trimline rotary some odd green blue color lol it has faded. I like it for the dial light but not a fan of wall warts.

I got a mickey mouse phone 1976 rotary ugly thing but works. I use it in the living room

I got a late 1990's itt rotary 500 I used it but that baby is going to the land filed or might use it for a bathroom phone.

Bedroom I got a 302 black metal phone I love it just got it today and man this thing is built to last.

I might look to replace all my phones with a 302.

If I need touch tone I just use the mobile phone.

I could still kick myself I had at 1 time 3 princes phones  2 white 1 red rotary with wall wart new in box. But my wonderful father throw them out in the trash. ugh.

The only touch tone phone I ever owned was crap walmart thing that had a cord about 3 feet long. No way to replace the cord since the thing was glued together. That was my last new phone I only use old phones and love them for what they are.

dsk

For the moment this Norwegian telephone serves as kitchen telephone.

This is a Norwegian (Elekrisk bureau) from approx 1925. This is claimed to be a copy of an American telephone, but I don't know.

My newest telephone in service is a 2500 from the seventies.

dsk

rdelius

Western Electric did produce some export sets with that style handset and cradle ,most likely during WW1 when Belgium was occupied
Robby

George Knighton

I have two Model 302 in everyday use, one wartime plastic and one metal pre-war.  Just regular everyday black 302's, but I like them.  :-)
Annoying new poster.

Phonesrfun

I routinely rotate mine.  I probably have two or three connected at any one point in time.

It's fun.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Welcome to the Rotary Forum George. I predict more than two 302's for you soon!

Terry

George Knighton

Quote from: AE_collector on November 22, 2012, 12:06:50 AM
Welcome to the Rotary Forum George. I predict more than two 302's for you soon!

Terry

Thank you...hat's a distinct possibility.  I'm already poking around even on Thanksgiving morning.  :-)

Attached is one of my phones.  Just plain old black 302's.  But...you're right.  I am looking around.  Beware an old man with an obsession!

Annoying new poster.

George Knighton

The hobby has grown a bit, over just a couple of weeks.  Maybe it's not an obsession, but even if it is...it's just about the cheapest obsession I've ever had.  :-)

I've already installed two extra phone jacks so that we can use these things.

And now I'm seriously toying with installing two more jacks upstairs.  That'll be more annoying because I'll have to fish through the walls via the attic or something.

Two projects being worked into the temporal budget:  (1) an ivory 306 that I'm taking it easy with, 'cause it'll be in view and I want it right; (2) a metal 302 that'll be an amalgamation of parts from some junky phones.  It'll never be worth anything, but it'll be nice.

Annoying new poster.

Dialvintage

Newbie here. I have one rotary phone- I'm a Brit and it is a GPO British phone from roughly 1967. I got it 2 days ago and don't use my boring modern phone now unless i have to ring a call centre where you have to press numbers to get through. I love dialling my rotary phone and its ring ring bell sound is sweet!

AE_Collector

Welcome to the CRPF Dialvintage. Your fellow countrymen here on the forum will help you determine which GPO phone should be next on your wanted list!

Terry

poplar1

>And now I'm seriously toying with installing two more jacks upstairs.  That'll be more annoying because I'll have to >fish through the walls via the attic or something.

George,

As long as you are adding more jacks, it would be a good idea to "home run" individual wires from each jack to a centralized location. That way, when you decide to get a Panasonic hybrid key system, it will be possible to have each jack go to a different extension number on the Panasonic.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Dialvintage

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 20, 2012, 09:22:22 PM
Welcome to the CRPF Dialvintage. Your fellow countrymen here on the forum will help you determine which GPO phone should be next on your wanted list!

Terry

Thanks Terry!

HowardPgh

I use my dial phones.  I use one for a while then change it for another.
Currently I am using a D1 type that is coupled to a 685 subset.
Howard

If a black 2500 is considered an antique- I use that one also since it has an amplified handset. 
Howard

WesternElectricBen

I hate modern phones, though my parents keep them around because they like the (trouble some) cordless functions.
Ben

AE_Collector

I have no idea if the vast majority of my phones work or not. I have an AE 40 & an AE 50 both with full chrome and in service in our house but that is probably it. Oh wait, an AE 43A and an AE 83A hooked up and wall mounted in a now unused room. One of each because at the time we had two phone lines.

I am a hoarder as well with good intentions of woking on them one day but as long as they look half decent I am okay with them as is.

Terry