News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My first (and so far only) pay phone

Started by Charles Davis, September 21, 2015, 04:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles Davis

I bought it at an antique store for about $125.  Never tried restoring it, but I did plug it in to confirm it works.

rdelius

unfortunately the coin chute gong assy has been replaced with a straight chute.I think this might be an ATT-Bell refurb for consumer sale.The locks might open with a screwdriver

Dan F

That's what it is.
I got a chrome on off of eBay a couple if months ago, have been collecting parts to return it to the 236 it started life as.
Coin relay
coin trap and parts
coin track and bell
locks
still need to replace the coin gauge at the top. AT&T butcheared the slug pins and need to find a new old stock or a good used one.
and other bits and pieces.

trainman

Even the ones the phone company altered for public resale are a part of history. Should leave as is, esoecially if it has a D number.

Charles Davis

I don't plan to do anything to it.  I'm not one to mess with the things I collect, even if they are imperfect.  Besides, it's not like I need small change. :)

Charles Davis

I just got back from a driving vacation from TX through AR, TN, MS and LA.  Along the way I found this front part of a pay phone that has the original coin handler.  Maybe I will transfer it into the other phone after all.

rdelius

That upper housing is an AE, The coin track will not fit a WE that has the push button coin return

Jim Stettler

Quote from: tryppyr on November 01, 2015, 11:52:27 AM
Oh well.  Only $25 spent.  :)

$25 for an AE cointrack is a good deal.
JMO,
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.