"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

coin box fit?

Started by Stan the Man, July 23, 2016, 08:29:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stan the Man

Will this coin box fit the AE 3-slot??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Payphone-cash-box-Pay-Phone-Coin-Collection-Box-New-/151890144539
?hash=item235d5bad1b:g:8GAAAOSwEgVWTveP

AE_Collector

No, it is too tall. This one fits most single slot phones.

A box for a triple slot is at least an inch shorter though the other dimensions are the same and the lids are interchangeable.

Terry

Stan the Man

If they are the same other than height, If one wanted,.. could one buy a cheap box, and cut it down??

Stan

rdelius

You could cut down a new box and make a wooden insert for a new bottom or find an old box with no lid and move the lid.there lots of older boxes that had the lids removed and put on newer single slot boxes.At COT we had 100s of lidless old boxes the telephone co robbed the lids of to save money.

Stan the Man

So this one wood work, other than the height.. Correct??
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Payphone-coinbox-with-Lid-/331905627636 ?hash=item4d471df5f4:g:3KoAAOSw3mpXKvtH
Stan

TelePlay

Finding a coin box has always been a challenge for me since most sellers don't give dimensions and/or compatible phones. Not know much about pay phones doesn't help.

I don't know if the is a strict rule to use or not but it seems to me the taller single slot coin boxes look "balanced" or symmetrical from the front while the 3 slot coin boxes are asymmetrical in that they have a protrusion on the upper right front corner of the box.

The protrusion is circled in yellow for two different boxes in the image below and in this side by side, the difference in height is clear with the 3 slot boxes being shorter.

It's interesting in the small boxes have much higher market prices going to $40 and up plus shipping from several sources.

So, is this a hard rule that this is the difference between all single slot and all 3 slot coin boxes?

Stan,

Depending where you live, ( cost of shipping) I have 4 single slot coin boxes. 3 have lids, one does not. I would sell two to you very cheap. ( 1 with lid and one without. ) I'm going to keep the other two for spares. If that helps you.

CDN Doug

TelePlay

Quote from: Autonut on July 24, 2016, 11:23:30 AM
Depending where you live, ( cost of shipping) I have 4 single coin boxes.

What are the dimensions of these boxes? They look like the taller, single slot boxes.

Quote from: TelePlay on July 24, 2016, 12:14:26 PM
What are the dimensions of these boxes? They look like the taller, single slot boxes.

They are, I edited my post. I forgot to put the word slot into the sentence. (  I have 4 single slot coin boxes. )

AE_Collector

Do 3 single slot boxes equal a 3 slot box? Price wise they probably do!

As mentioned, I guess the bottom could be can openered off, the box shortened the appropriate amount and then maybe a new wooden base inserted into the now shorter box. But you don't need a lid or even a box for authenticity so what would the point be in modifying a box so extensively when it won't be original (proper) anyway?

Terry

Stan S

A Campbell's Soup can would also work.

Stan S.

Stan the Man

Soup can?.. I had a small cardboard box in it for a long time..  Its not about something functional,.. Its about not being able to leave well enough alone.. I have one on the way.. $14w/free shipping..
If the height is the only difference, I can fix that.. I was a steel fabricator for over 20yrs.. I have a few skills..
The plan is to take the difference out of the middle.. Make it look as nice as possible..  Piece of cake.. ;D

Stan

TelePlay

Quote from: Stan the Man on July 24, 2016, 08:18:30 PM
If the height is the only difference, I can fix that.. I was a steel fabricator for over 20yrs.. I have a few skills. The plan is to take the difference out of the middle.. Make it look as nice as possible..  Piece of cake.. ;D

Remember, before, during and after photos ARE REQUIRED!   8)

Stan the Man

I guess I could bite the bullet and spend $60-$70 on a ginny-original box.. I'll have my eye out for one,.. Maybe.. Depends on how satisfied I am with the way my box turns out.. $14 and a little time isn't too much to see what happens.. I don't foresee any problems,..  Pictures?? yeah I guess I could take a few.. :)

Stan

Stan S

Stan
If you have the skill and equipment to cut out the center it's certainly worth a try.

Personally I have no love for those coin cans. All the problems I've had over the past ten years with the payphones I sold were caused by those lousy cans.

I was serious about the Campbell's Soup Can. Tuna fish cans also work pretty well.

Stan S.