News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Automatic electric, 3slot. how do I open? **Opened**

Started by Isobel23, September 01, 2016, 04:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Isobel23

Sorry everybody, this is probably a silly question but this is my first payphone. Ive looked around to see if anyone else has asked this, but I didn't see anything. mine is lpb-86-55, so I learned from other posts that it's self compensating and a semi-post pay. The back has no wires showing and I can't figure how to open it. I unscrewed some screws off the back but that didn't do it. The only key I have is to open the change box.
I'd like to see if it works. From what I've read it doesn't have a ringer, and as of now that'll be ok. It dials beautifully, just hope it works!
Does the 55 mean it's a 1955 phone (again, sorry, I am new to this?)
Also, this phone was a gift from a dear friend who's late husband retired from the local ph.company and was also a big collector. I'd never, ever sell it, but what would a phone like this be worth, $150-200?

TelePlay

poplar1

If the lock is original, then you will need a 29-S key.
55 is not the year.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Isobel23

Oh. I thought since it said automatic electric it was AE.
I looked at the link you posted and will see what I can do and do some more reading and homework.
Thanks

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Isobel23 on September 01, 2016, 08:10:17 PM
I looked at the link you posted and will see what I can do and do some more reading and homework.
Thanks

Isobel, I think what TelePlay meant:....the phone in the thread (link provided by TelePlay) is an N.E., not A.E. but similar.  Yours is obviously A.E. (Automatic Electric).

~Dennis

Isobel23

HarrySmith

The key you need, 29S as already stated, is available on eBay, both reproduction & originals. Once you get the key it will be easy to open and access the internals.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Isobel23

Thanks, and yes I'm looking on eBay..prices are up there a little I see..when it comes to lock n keys

HarrySmith

Yes, some people seem to think the keys are made of gold or platinum. Be patient, reasonable priced ones will show up. I think one of our members have repros available. Am I right??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Isobel23

That's okay, I ordered one for around $15. Patience isn't one of strong suits, and I'm really eager to open it up. I want the person who gave it to me hear a dial tone on it. Would mean a lot to her since it was a unfinished project of her late husbands.
*I really have a good feeling about it. All 3 coins go in good and each make their special dong/ring and go straight to the coin box (which is fine since I have a key.) I just want to see the smile on her face when she can dial a call. She has a black one almost identical to this one and hopefully I can do my homework and get help from y'all and get that one going for her. I really didn't want to accept this gift from her and offered to pay but she said "I've never heard anyone go on and on about these old phones except for you and my late husband, and I know that he'd want it to be where it'd be loved and maybe givin shot at working, instead of getting dusty up here in this attic!" So..here I am..didn't mean to go on and on, just sharing a tid-bit :)

TelePlay

Quote from: Isobel23 on September 01, 2016, 08:10:17 PM
Thanks

Sorry,

What I meant to say is the link I provided was to a topic opening a NE payphone and you do indeed have an AE (Automatic Electric) but the backs look similar so the NE method that worked for me might work for you. Once the screws are out, the top and bottom should separate by pulling the front of the phone forward where the bottom half and top half meet.

I got mine open and then found/bought the keys I needed later.

Isobel23

Thank you so much. I've read over it briefly and will take closer look at it tomorrow. Kinda embarrassed me that I let that go right over my head lol. I'm new to all this technical stuff and thought, shoot, if it's not an automatic and says automatic..i'm doomed..i'll never learn all of this lol.