News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 40, 47 & 50 Base Code Observations (2017!)

Started by RotoTech99, January 03, 2017, 12:13:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Moving on to Ringers. Quite obviously the part of the second code after the dial letter is the ringer frequency. But, why all the "0's" particularly with some of the 40xx sets, almost for sure they used "0" to represent SL. Later you start to see "SL" in this position of the code rather than "0".

Terry

AE_Collector

This looks exciting! Note some sets have a 4th letter in the second code position. It is virtually always a colored telephone. A "Color Code" on colored sets but not on black sets. Missing on some examples it was probably added at some point during the production of AE 40's.

Here are the colors that I have codes for. I need to find my AE catalogs showing the colored sets to confirm these color names:

D - Jade Green
E - Old Ivory
F - Chinese Red
J - Nile Green

I have a "light blue" set listed as code - J on my Excel list but I don't think there was a light blue 40. There was the "Orchid" color that turns a beautiful light blue color with age in most instances. This one on my Excel list was likely a Nile Green (light green) set seen on eBay or somewhere that was difficult to interpret the color.

I have now confirmed from my list that the "light blue" set was a phone seen on eBay thus I have very little detailed info about it. The color of it was almost certainly interpreted incorrectly. I have updated my list to show it as a Nile Green 40 now. My first use of the "color code" knowledge we have just discovered.

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector & Unbeldi:

I apologize for it not appearing in my last post, but here's the info. off the components from my converted local battery set:

Induction coil D-283022 with a link between "2"and "3" (instead of between "4" and "6" as on a common battery one).
.5mf condenser
Hookswitch lacks resistor used with CB set.
Number on base as best I could read "N4069-JK7".

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

Excellent, I know you still have to verify them, but that tells me more for sure.

I hope you like my converted local battery AE40 info. I provided; it was for Unbeldi, but I made a error posting, so you received it, as well.

AE_Collector

Quote from: RotoTech99 on January 08, 2017, 12:10:04 PM
Dear AE Collector:

I hope you like my converted local battery AE40 info. I provided; it was for Unbeldi, but I made a error posting, so you received it, as well.

I just went over my Excel list and note that I don't have ANY 4069 sets listed so most likely that is the valid "First Base Code" representing a local battery AE40. I can add your set to my list at some point though I will need to get as much info on it as possible from you.

Here is some more from my Excel list.
The codes found on all AE 50's on my Excel list.
The codes found on all AE 47's on my Excel list.

I have acquired several more AE 47's as well as some 40's and 50's that I know have not yet made it into my Excel lists.

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

Do you have a list of the local battery AE40's? I could read for sure "4069"and "JK7" but the prefix wasn't entirely readable.

it looked like there was code between that, but I couldn't read it.

it did have a dial blank, originally though.

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

Here is what I have from my earlier posts:

The model code as best I can read is N4069-JK7; the damaged gold label listed 6 patents.

I don't have the diagram as it was damaged, and mostly missing.

The induction coil is D-283022 with a jumper between 2 and 3, instead of 4 and 6 as for a common battery set
the condenser is D-68270A, rated at .5mf. The hook lacks the resistor the CB set uses.

Attached is the photo I sent Unbeldi.

The set had chrome handset cap bands, and chrome hookswitch mount blocks originally.

I will send a photo of the set as it is now, after conversion momentarily

AE_Collector

I don't have any phones listed along with an indication that they are or were local battery sets. Of course they could have been but just didn't get identified as such. I think that local battery 40 sets would be a very low percentage of all 40's out there. I will work with you to get your local battery set into my list starting with the info and picture you have provided.

So you think that there is a code "second code" missing or unreadable between the N-4069 and the JK7? Sometimes a very faint or worn off code can be ready by changing the angle and amout of light present to see the outline of where the code was.

The JK7 code sounds much more like a "third code". An interesting thing that I have seen many times with the third code is quite often the two letters, in this case JK are stamped on the receiver and transmitter capsules as well as on the base. Of course receiver and transmitter capsules can very easily be replaced or swapped around between phones so not matching each other or the third base code is very common. BUT, I have seen them match each other and/or the two letters of the third base code too often for it to be coincidence.

Now why would a transmitter and receiver need literally hundreds of different possible codes on them? I'm sure there were a few "improvements" to their design over the years but not hundreds over a 20 year time frame. That makes me wonder if there could possibly be a date code lurking in there?

Terry

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

I will check that and post photos, be right back

RotoTech99

Dear AE Collector:

Here are the photos of my transmitter and receiver capsules

Also included are the photos of my converted AE40

The two letter code was PB on the transmitter, and HP on the receiver.

These were with the set as I received it prior to conversion, and retained in the conversion.

RotoTech99

Here is a better photo of the transmitter capsule.

BTW: I tried your suggestion on holding the base at angles to try reading the code better, I didn't get any better luck reading whatight be a third middle code.

AE_Collector

Okay, I will start entering that info in awhile and get back to you with any additional questions. One will be all the codes on each coil of the ringer and resistance of each coil if any of the codes are there and readable. You said the phone had a dial blank when you got it. The handset cord looks to be a straight rubber cord? Was there a base cord with it? It has a single large capacitor mounted to the baseplate? Can you read any of the info on it?

Terry

RotoTech99

No, there wasn't a handset cord with it, nor a ringer or line cord. Just what I noted earlier.

Here is a what I added in the conversion :

D-56515A straight line ringer with one D-283749A and D-283750A coil.
The condenser is a D-68849A, the induction coil is D-282996A (regular).

The condenser in the dual condenser for ringing is .4 MF, and the talking one is 4 mf.

The D-56515A ringer is rated for a .4 MF condenser

There was no base condenser in the original configuration.

The handset bands are chrome, I added a chrome lift bar in place of the chrome blocks, and a chrome fingerwheel.

The straight rubber handset cord i added is NOS, I saw a tag, but it was badly worn. My main concern was it being useable, which thankfully it is.

Jrs1958

Any idea what year this AE40 is from?

Jrs1958

It has chrome bands, chrome finger wheel and a true butlers handle