News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Casper The Friendly Ghost On My Windshield

Started by 19and41, January 28, 2020, 02:26:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

You know, with all these things having connectors to make a complete circuit to what they need to. It's no wonder there's problems. All it takes is a small spot of corrosion to kill a circuit in these cars.
I had a mini van, popular style, had issues come up with things come to find out it was water made its way into a connection, and threw everything off.
KEN

19and41

This one has quite a few connectors. the ones I'v e had apart were quite clean and dry inside.  They even had gold plated pins.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Key2871

Yes quite a few.. And yes as they should be, because they would be sealed from moisture if they are in good condition.
But I've been watching car programs and the newer cars have a staggering amount of connectors, compared to what the older cars did.
Well good luck.
KEN

19and41

Well, it's finally boiled down to the engine control module.  The shop found out as I already knew, that they are none available at most of the auto parts outlets in the US.  I've ordered one from a remanufacturer.  It was fun trying to find one on Ebay.  They were listing the relay interface as the microprocessor controller and a number of places was selling used units pulled from wrecked cars.  I didn't want to get a used one and contend with 25 year old electrolytic capacitors in them.
— Arthur C. Clarke

HarrySmith

Yes, the new cars have an enormous amount of connections. They have cut down on the number of wires & connectors by using a CAN - BUS system. I gave up working on cars long ago and I am glad I did. This new system somehow uses the same wiring to send several different signals. I guess the computers figure out where it goes. The air bag system is required to have gold connectors and yellow wires.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

19and41

I guess I'm fortunate in that my work with microprocessor controlled 2 way radios gives me some understanding how this system works.  I can do a little bit on the ECM, but mostly with it's peripherals.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Jim Stettler

Quote from: HarrySmith on February 26, 2020, 03:04:28 PM
. This new system somehow uses the same wiring to send several different signals. I guess the computers figure out where it goes.
Could be done with frequency, a type of power-line carrier, sorta like the old X10 home automation.
Just a guess.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

countryman

CAN-Bus used in automobiles and machines is a serial bus, just like a USB connection on a computer. The units hooked to the bus exchange data with adresses.
When you put on the light, the light switch does not just close a circuit. It sends a data telegram which is adressed to the light controller unit. There a relay is closed to make the actual 12V DC circuit when the information is received.
(That's just a stupid example).

19and41

Ordered and got the new ECM, and when the shop installed it they found it would idle fine but will not fire correctly trying to drive it.now the module is going back cross country to it's supplier for a warranty return.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

The seller got the warranty return but at $36 per trip, the seller just made a refund as opposed to an exchange.  I found a auto parts chain store has them in stock now and for $40 less than the returned one was.  It is supposed to get here tonight for them to install next week.  Somehow, I suspect this one "won't work" too.  If it doesn't, I'm towing the car home and holding a continuity and resistance bee on the engine management harness.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

Wonder of wonders, it appears this module was indeed good and functional.  I pick up the car tomorrow.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

It drove for a day or two, then the electrical problem cropped back up.  I've had it.  I'll let someone else continue the search.  I have made the deposit on a much newer Ford Explorer Limited.  That's sporty enough for me.  Especially if it behaves.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I'm making arrangements to donate the car to Georgia Public Broadcasting.  They are to contact me in the next few days to pick it up.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Bob S

Found On Road Dead
F         O   R     D

Doug Rose

Fix Or Repair Daily.  Great high school humor.

Yes..I had a Camaro..Doug
Kidphone