News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Rotary phones at my local antique store in NorCal

Started by AliceWonder, November 19, 2022, 09:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AliceWonder

This shop is within a mile of where I live. I do not know what these phones are, nor did I buy them, but one I am semi-tempted to.

First (not wanted by me) is a candlestick phone. It looks beautiful, and I didn't get a picture but the cord has a female modular jack spliced onto the end of it which is a good indication that it works.PXL_20221119_213943889-reduced.jpg
PXL_20221119_213949072-reduced.jpg

The second looks like some kind of novelty production phone. It is rotary but I don't know that it is necessarily a classic.

PXL_20221119_220504377-reduced.jpg

Finally, the one I was tempted to get. It's a wall phone, it looks rough like it is in need of some love, no idea if it even works but I have some doubts.

I decided to hold off until I at least know what it is, but it's a kitchen (or other) wall phone and this house doesn't have a wall phone and I would like it to. But even though I like the way I imagine this one could look, I do not know anything about it.

Any thoughts? Is the price fairish?

Thank you for any comments or identifications.

PXL_20221119_220422121-reduced.jpg PXL_20221119_220429646.jpeg pricetag.jpg 

AliceWonder

FABphones

Usually, underneath or on the back, the model number and year of phone will be stamped. Easy enough to pop outside the store and do a quick lookup on the auction site and see what similar are selling for. One can then pop back into the store and buy or take a chance they will be there next visit.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Kellogg Kitt

The "French" phone looks like a "French Continental."  These and similar phones were mass produced in the 1970s and 80s.  Radio Shack even sold them!

https://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/flipbook/1980_radioshack_catalog.html?fb3d-page=147

They are not my cup of tea, but if I wanted one, I would not pay $95.00 for one, especially one with such discoloration of the plastic.  They can be found on eBay for less money and in better condition.  Just search "French Telephone," and you will find lots of them.

The wall phone looks like a 354.  I am not sure about the price.  $70.00 seems a little bit high, but not outrageous.  You might try offering them less, say $50.00, and see if they accept.
Wade

FABphones

LarryInMichigan

You should be able to do much better on price any of those phones.

Larry

Contempra

Once cleaned, polished and adjusted the prices are reasonable.

Contempra

Quote from: 3463319 on November 19, 2022, 09:55:41 PM...I am not sure about the price...
It's not that they are expensive, sometimes the work, finding rare parts or it's a rare phone and the polishing, it all makes it cost what it costs.

Red telephones, for example, are becoming rare and are in demand in some parts of the world because they are collectable. ;)

rdelius

AliceWonder

I bought the phone today and did get some off because it has dents in the top and bottom, you don't see them when looking at the phone head-on so I'm not that worried about it.

Everything is there, everything with a date I can see is 8-54. It looks like the dial was replaced at some point because from the inside, the dialer and screws do not look as old.

The dialer works but it is a little sticky if it hasn't been dialed. Dial 0 and let it run, and then it dials everything appropriately - so that needs to be cleaned and lubed.

The handset cord needs to be replaced. I don't know if the 101B coil gets hot but the white (slate?) handset wire is melted right where it passes the coil. Also it looks like there is supposed to be a handset cord guide right where it exits the phone to prevent it from being pinched when closing the case that is missing.

The ringer looks good but not tested, other than manually causing it to strike - it moves freely.

The handset is heavy. I like that. The cap for earpiece comes off with effort and it all looks good, I haven't yet gotten the cap for mouthpiece off and I will have to because I believe that has to come off to replace the cord.

I think it's a good phone to work on as my first project, I was looking for a black 500CD but I think this one is good, it doesn't look too complex. Hardest thing will be crawling around in the attic to drop a line where we want it... :P Yes, it will be used.

MMikeJBenN27

Only that wall phone is old.  The other two are from the 70s or 80s.

Mike

HarrySmith

Which one did you get? I am assuming from your description of a 101B coil it was the 354 wall phone. Good catch. I like those models. It is the wall version of the 302. The easiest way to get off stuck handset caps is a strap wrench. We need pictures! Lots of them, inside & out.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

LarryInMichigan

Nothing inside the phone should ever become hot.  If a wire looks melted, it might just have been flattened overt time from being pressed between things.

It shouldn't be difficult to make the phone work.  If the dial is sticky, spraying the moving parts with electronic contact cleaner will likely help.  You may need to adjust the tension spring on the ringer to make it ring properly.

Larry

TelePlay

QuoteI don't know if the 101B coil gets hot but the white (slate?) handset wire is melted right where it passes the coil.

Pictures would help diagnose the issue but I doubt melted (without seeing pictures of the wire in question), more likely the rubber used to cover the stranded wire had hardened over time and is crumbling off of the stranded wire when moved.

Images are needed.

FABphones

Quote from: AliceWonder on November 20, 2022, 08:58:19 PMI bought the phone today and did get some off because it has dents in the top and bottom...

As above. Photos need attaching.
The 354 wall phone?
Dents in the Bakelite plastic?

Quote...the dialer and screws...
'Dial', not 'Dialer'.