News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric/Bell System payphone

Started by shadow67, March 04, 2023, 10:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadow67

I have had this pay phone for many years. It was modified for "home use". I was wondering how difficult it would be to return it to stock operation so that it might work with a controller. It looks like it needs a coin relay, but not sure what else. Right now when a coin is dropped in it goes to the coin return. Thnks

Stan S

Along with a coin relay it needs a totalizer. Assuming everything else in the phone is correct it should work fine with this payphone controller, ebay number 304819499913. Just noticed that the hook switch also needs some parts.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304819499913

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Stan s seems correct, the phone is missing the totalizator and the relay.  Here is a relay for the Western Electric Payphone did you need them, I'm not sure about the totalizer as that seems like some rather hard to find.  The wiring also may be changed at the terminal block once you get the parts. Please post pictures of the terminal block where the wires are so I can see if it needs to be rewired most likely it needs to be.  The keypad looks complete to me but please correct me if I am wrong. 

Coin relay.

https://www.payphone.com/Western-1A-Relay.html

shadow67

Quote from: RoatryPhoneLover_2000 on March 05, 2023, 01:16:45 AMDoes this phone even work as is?

The phone had dial tone and can make and receive calls in its present configuration.

Stan S

Since the phone is working as a standard desk set it can be made to work with the controller. Just add a coin relay. Wire the relay between the TIP connection in the payphone and the YELLOW wire from the controller's output cable. The RED and GREEN wires from the controllers output cable connect to the TIP and RING phone line connections in the payphone. In this configuration the payphone is COIN FIRST. The hook switch contacts look a little strange in your picture. Since you say the phone works as a standard desk set the hook switch must be OK.

shadow67

So this phone does not need a totalizer? Can you even get one? I would like it to be as original as possible, without breaking the bank for parts. I also noticed a set of yellow and black wires taped off. What would these go to? Also there is an additional socket that has tape over it. What would this be for? Thanks for all the replies.

Stephen

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Hi, the yellow and black wires would be for the coin relay... the socket that is taped off is for the totaliter.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Stan S, that keypad appears to be a newer style keypad that they sold in the mid 90s and are usually made in Taiwan.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

Also, I am not sure which model that Payphone controller is, if it's coin first the phone will need to be converted back to CF. The picture looks like DTF, but I would like a picture to confirm.  If it is, you can get 1C Payphone wiring charts for CF mode , or I can provide a link for that.

Stan S

Don't worry about DTF or Coin First. The controller will automatically make the payphone coin first. You won't be using any of the coin mechanism in the payphone except for the coin relay. If you want originality it's going to cost you.

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

shadow67

Thank you. I may just try to get a coin relay then...if one wanted a totalizer how much do they run and where could one be found?

shadow67

where is the best place to get a coin relay? payphone.com was listed above. Has anyone used one from them? They offer a protel or elcotel connector. I am guessing I would not need that? Thanks

RoatryPhoneLover_2000

I don't think you can find a totalizer, if you could I'd say $150 for one with the coin chute.  There is also one on eBay if you wanted.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/265463983159

hash=item3dcee2ec37:g:8pUAAOSwjB5hwl7t&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAAoAiIJWqekw%2FBOdP03tp%2B%2F%2Bu9PQ9XZjXi0z4svHkUU8QC49sWidMdJnu82QZsGsZ0RwNA%2BEGv4jgwpoYtCI7m53hIXN95uvRKgYS9eNFFtEdwZlP%2Fq1%2BdWl%2BqGTiy2u4SykCh3x%2FPOFvhn3YYhJSnX7E2cWAVKf42VTioRKD7KrAuAxNmSePlOiAeEMNis%2BfRnBeAsMLExOyv1dPjBD66oc4%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR_DvnLzWYQ.

Also you wouldn't need a attachment of any sort, as you just wire the black and yellow wires to the top and side of the relay I'm pretty sure.