News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

E-Bay listings descriptions

Started by MMikeJBenN27, March 24, 2023, 06:17:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MMikeJBenN27

Lately, on E-Bay, telephones have been popping up with "MCM" in their title.  What does that mean?  I am not much on abbreviations and computer talk, and I keep forgetting to ask my Grandchildren.

Mike

TelePlay

Maybe "mid century modern?"

Regardless, seems a few degrees too cute, using uncommon abbreviations in a listing.

How about an eBay link?

TelePlay

Yes, pretty sure what that means.

Searched eBay for "mcm telephone" and got hits. Here are parts of 2 listing's full descriptions.

RDPipes

MCM/Mid-Century Modern, just another unneeded yuppie terminology because "vintage" isn't good enough for them anymore. LOL!

MMikeJBenN27

https://www.ebay.com/itm/175663455629

?hash=item28e65b9d8d:g:0joAAOSw9xxkHdZN&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAAA8G3AxL4gukLiO09f9%2BXhbEwTM%2FMVqCU%2BR%2B5fFj1GBWy53rwRKhVMuD8f3WPjNNGY8EjRPUPCItg3oQDizKdE4PNtTNb%2F4tIOmzq0dLJPoiAEst%2B7mJJRqpCWIM46K4CHIkjqy2UOs8NfL6dKhYQc2Rl3wpUrwFrwRmf0AE6jhTeE673JqJJWWQn%2FCKL7YU0d0UcbvKTM%2Bp5wfeefo2Lx8DKNIXvqx4DVoi3q%2Fxiot53KlddOX8BSvcfMWp7mnaIcm5fnMpV88gGgu0UTPbgdZtuTDtchhsXjJoD7KQp5Wt7sk0Lrkm8%2FPR0XZzqyBO3Zsg%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABk9SR-izhN7iYQ

This should be it.

Mike

RDPipes

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on March 24, 2023, 07:08:33 PMhttps://www.ebay.com/itm/175663455629

Yeah, I see a lot now with "Stage Prop", like that means something special too. LOL!
Just another way of saying Not Working!

paul-f

Quote from: RDPipes on March 24, 2023, 07:05:25 PMMCM/Mid-Century Modern, just another unneeded yuppie terminology because "vintage" isn't good enough for them anymore. LOL!

The first thing that came to mind for MCM was the Roman numeral for 1900.

Guess that puts me firmly in an earlier generation. ;)
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

TelePlay

Quote from: RDPipes on March 24, 2023, 07:20:04 PMYeah, I see a lot now with "Stage Prop", like that means something special too. LOL!
Just another way of saying Not Working!

All together: Genuine Hard to Find Unique MCM Barn Fresh Untested Steampunk Shabby Chic Stage Prop.

BTW, MCM was already listed in the Forum's Glossary of eBay Seller Title Terms

RDPipes

Quote from: paul-f on March 24, 2023, 07:35:01 PMThe first thing that came to mind for MCM was the Roman numeral for 1900.

Guess that puts me firmly in an earlier generation. ;)

That and you know your Roman Numerals better then me, LOL!

markosjal

I always assume that "untested" really means that they KNOW it does not work. In one case the listing showed the bottom of the phone and it looked empty, but was described as "untested".

Also, some of these sellers are just gouging on shipping like when you see a trimline phone for $10.00 but $28.00 to ship it (domestic USA 48). For USA 48 Shipping a trimline can fit is a medium flat rate box and paying via ebay to ship costs about $10.00 to ship.

There are many IDIOTS selling on ebay. I wrote to one seller just a couple days ago, who even showed pics of  GTE Touch tone pay phone claiming it was rotary dial. I asked him which was wrong the pics or the description.  I got a half baked reply back that started with "haha" as I recall. Maybe young people do not understand what "rotary phone" means?

Then again there are bad buyers on ebay too, like one who begged me recently for shipping an item to Taiwan and once I activated shipping to Taiwan never even responded.

I admit I had no idea whet "MCM" meant until about a year or two ago.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

MMikeJBenN27

I've dealt with some of those myself.  They don't have a clue, and then try to argue with you!

Mike

TelePlay

Quote from: markosjal on March 25, 2023, 01:25:25 AMI always assume that "untested" really means that they KNOW it does not work. In one case the listing showed the bottom of the phone and it looked empty, but was described as "untested".

Also, some of these sellers are just gouging on shipping like when you see a trimline phone for $10.00 but $28.00 to ship it (domestic USA 48). For USA 48 Shipping a trimline can fit is a medium flat rate box and paying via ebay to ship costs about $10.00 to ship.

There are many IDIOTS selling on ebay. I wrote to one seller just a couple days ago, who even showed pics of  GTE Touch tone pay phone claiming it was rotary dial. I asked him which was wrong the pics or the description.  I got a half baked reply back that started with "haha" as I recall. Maybe young people do not understand what "rotary phone" means?

Then again there are bad buyers on ebay too, like one who begged me recently for shipping an item to Taiwan and once I activated shipping to Taiwan never even responded.

I admit I had no idea whet "MCM" meant until about a year or two ago.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the OP's topic question. The subject phone, while showing some expected rust, is undated but seems to have a bakelite handset, metal finger wheel, original number card and holder (an $18-22 value by itself these days), a #7 dial, original hard wired line and handset cords and the ringer has not been removed. Untested to me means the seller does not have the capability of or knowledge to attach red and green to a proper device to check the talk and ring circuits. As to price and shipping, it's a free world, at least as of today, to ask whatever price, as the seller, on an auction site and as a buyer to evaluate the desire and/or need for the item against the offered price and shipping.

Again, all this, especially the unjustified name calling, has nothing to do (something best posted on the eBay quirks board along with the many identical  discussions have already been posted) with the original intent of this topic which was to define the acronym MCM which has been shown to mean "mid century modern."

poplar1

Quote from: markosjal on March 25, 2023, 01:25:25 AMI For USA 48 Shipping a trimline can fit is a medium flat rate box and paying via ebay to ship costs about $10.00 to ship.
Shipping in a flat rate medium flat rate box up to 70 pounds is $14 for an ebay label or $17.10 at the post office or Clik'n'ship. This price is to all 50 states

Best deal was the Regional Flat Rate box, $8 - $12 on Ebay. But it was discontinued on Jan  23
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

markosjal

Quote from: TelePlay on March 25, 2023, 09:40:47 AMNot sure what any of this has to do with the OP's topic question. The subject phone, while showing some expected rust, is undated but seems to have a bakelite handset, metal finger wheel, original number card and holder (an $18-22 value by itself these days), a #7 dial, original hard wired line and handset cords and the ringer has not been removed. Untested to me means the seller does not have the capability of or knowledge to attach red and green to a proper device to check the talk and ring circuits. As to price and shipping, it's a free world, at least as of today, to ask whatever price, as the seller, on an auction site and as a buyer to evaluate the desire and/or need for the item against the offered price and shipping.

Again, all this, especially the unjustified name calling, has nothing to do (something best posted on the eBay quirks board along with the many identical  discussions have already been posted) with the original intent of this topic which was to define the acronym MCM which has been shown to mean "mid century modern."

First there are idiots everywhere and I have no issue saying it. I am not callig YOU nor anyone here an idiot.

Second it all has to do with OP because the same BOZOS (since you do not like idiot) that use terms like MCM are the same BOZOS who pull this other crap. I have seen it a thousand times on ebay.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

TelePlay

Quote from: markosjal on March 25, 2023, 03:21:08 PMFirst there are idiots everywhere and I have no issue saying it. I am not callig YOU nor anyone here an idiot.

Second it all has to do with OP because the same BOZOS (since you do not like idiot) that use terms like MCM are the same BOZOS who pull this other crap. I have seen it a thousand times on ebay.

Read the first sentence of the first paragraph:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=18560.0

and reconsider the content of your posts.