News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

GTE/Quadrum Style 120B Payphone

Started by bushman, June 26, 2010, 07:39:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bushman

I hope this doesn't upset anyone because this isn't a rotary phone. I recently acquired a gte/quadrum style payphone and it appears to be missing the circuit board and the coin sensor and relay. The phone is marked 48volt and it has a coinco coin processor. Is there anyone out there who knows these payphones to help me id the missing parts and or work around the missing parts. The wife wants this one and I really like to keep her happy so she keeps supporting my phone addiction.

Bushman

AE_Collector

Quote from: bushman on June 26, 2010, 07:39:45 PM
I hope this doesn't upset anyone because this isn't a rotary phone. I recently acquired a gte/quadrum style payphone and it appears to be missing the circuit board and the coin sensor and relay. The phone is marked 48volt and it has a coinco coin processor. Is there anyone out there who knows these payphones to help me id the missing parts and or work around the missing parts. The wife wants this one and I really like to keep her happy so she keeps supporting my phone addiction.

Bushman

Yup, I can help. Quadrum took over the AE single slot payphone line from AE. Post a picture of the inside if possible. Sounds like the only thing you have mounted on the back of the housing is the coin acceptor (Made by coinco) mounted upper right side? Chassis should be mounted on the left side. Trigger switch goes right under the coin acceptor and the coin hopper with relay mounted on the front of it goes under the trigger switch. Then you need the coin return shute from the front of the coin acceptor into the coin return.

Terry

bushman

Thanks alot!!  I have the vault door off working on the locks here are some pics.

Bushman

AE_Collector

Okay, so you have the coin acceptor, hopper (cast aluminum thing in the bottom) and coin return chute.

You need a coin relay, chassis (electronics) & trigger switch.

The only thing that I see in your pictures that I am unfamiliar with is the layout of the upper housing. The AE 120A/B type uppers had a much smaller upper instruction card area which was justified to the left side of the housing. To the right of it was the coin slot with the coin return lever directly below the coin slot rather than to the left of the coin slot like your phone.

Presumably this is just a slightly differet variety from the ones that I have and worked on. Potentially the coin acceptor is a bit different as the coin return lever works on the coin acceptor unit. The workings of the coin return lever inside your upper housing looks a bit different than what I am used to so I suspect that is where they have made up for the different location of the return lever. Thus the coin acceptor might be identical to what I am used to. You have the coin acceptor unit anyway so all should be good there.

I can probably find you the parts that you need. You just have to be patient (like the other 3 guys who I am currently attempting to supply parts and phones to) as I have WAY too much going on here at the moment but hope to get somewhat caught up once I start my vacation time from work.

Terry

bushman

Ok, so how do I know which chassis I need and do I need a 48 volt relay or can I use a 12 volt. I still don't know if this is a Protel, elcotel or what? Does it need a smart board or not? Sooo many questions!!!

Bushman

AE_Collector

We may have to rely on some input from others. I am familiar with Protels and while they likely made many different models, the inside components on your phone don't resemble any of the Protels that I know of. I am only familiar with three different Protel models though.

The coin relay, trigger switch and chassis for an AE 120B would fit right in there and connect up to the parts that you already have. It is just the different layout of the coin return lever and the larger size of the upper instruction card that are different from what I am used to.

Maybe someone else on the list knows if it is an Elcotel or some other version.

Not sure about the coin relay voltage. I would assume it wants a 48 volt relay to be controlled directly from the CO as opposed to some never styles that have a local power supply. However the CO control voltages are nowhere near 48 volts. The 48 volt sticker is probably indicating that it is controlled via the 48 VDC phone line.

Terry

bushman

Thanks again for the help.       

Anyone else?

Bushman

gpo706

Bushman I have an 1C2, not the same as yours but similar, you might like this, - Chapter 2 after SIM card hacking.

http://vimeo.com/1404007

There's also a BSP on 1C2's I'll dig out and try to attach.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

gpo706

Bushman the BSP for 1C2's wont go despite being a 20,730k PDF, would your email take it?
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

bushman

I am not sure if my email would take it or not.  I have found a blow-up pic of what I think is my phone.

http://www.artofhacking.com/payphones/live/aoh_gte1.htm

And I think this is the chassis that was mentioned that I need. Does this look correct?

http://www.tullc.us/category.php?id_category=4

It is about halfway down listed as a GTE 120b refurbished chassis.

Bushman

AE_Collector

The first link shows the two different faceplates for your payphone. The one on the left (#419 I think) is the one I am familiar with.

Maybe it is an actual AE payphone rather than an Elcotel, Earnst etc. I just havenb't seen an AE with that upper instruction card / coin return lever layout.

Yes the refurbed 120B Chassis in the second link is the one that would fit your phone.

Terry