"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 202 with unknown subset

Started by Mike C, May 20, 2013, 09:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike C

Hello all

I was able to add another nice 202 to the collection but have been unable to identify the subset that came with it. In looking through Old-Time Telephones, it is similar to the Western Electric 334 but it opens with the cover opening downward. Would anyone have an idea what it might be? Thanks for any assistance  :)

Mike

Phonesrfun

I do not recognize it either.  The age and components appear to be an older sidetone set.  Technically, the phone mount you have is a D1.  A round base is a B1.  Often people assume the oval base is a 202, and a round base to be a 102, ignoring the subset.

The real thing that determines 102 versus 202 is whether the mount is connected to a sidetone or an antisidetone subset.  If the subset you have is sidetone, then you have a D mount wired as a 102.  Probably sounds like an annoying, picky difference, but that's just the way it is.  :)

How well does the set function?
-Bill G

poplar1

Who is Doyle Dacosta?

The induction coil is a WE or NE #46, but the other parts are not WE.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

rdelius

Mike C

Thanks very much  :) Its working fine so it'll do until I get a proper replacement. Thanks again.

Mike

Bill

Google books brings up several references, telling us that D-D was a company located in Easton, PA in the 19-teens and 1920's time frame. At various times, D-D apparently specialized in

Electromagnets and solenoids (coils)
Wire and insulated wire
Induction coils
Small electrical parts
Telephone parts

They clearly made the ringer in your phone, and quite possibly the induction coil and other parts as well - perhaps the entire box.

Bill