News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Does anyone make reproduction Western Electric decals with the earlier font?

Started by Sargeguy, October 25, 2013, 09:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

The type I am referring to is the pre-Hawthorne block style found on 293 and 295s and other wooden phones from about 1904-1910?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

tallguy58

Have you checked OPW. They have a section for decals.

Failing that, get a decal kit and make your own
Cheers........Bill

dsk

If you are making you own decals, I have at lest one experience to share. On light color backgrounds, transparent decals may work. On black background white decals needed to reproduce light colors as white, yellow, gold, silver etc.

I'm just in an experimental level so far, but you dont have to do everything wrong to learn, even when doing the wrong thing may be a good way of learning.   ;D

dsk

TelePlay

Quote from: dsk on October 26, 2013, 03:07:51 AM
If you are making you own decals, I have at lest one experience to share. On light color backgrounds, transparent decals may work. On black background white decals needed to reproduce light colors as white, yellow, gold, silver etc.

I'm just in an experimental level so far, but you dont have to do everything wrong to learn, even when doing the wrong thing may be a good way of learning.   ;D

dsk

Are you using an ink jet or a laser jet color printer?

G-Man

If at all possible I would suggest attending the NorCal telephone show in San Jose coming up on November 9th.

A noted collector and craftsman of unparalleled artistic talent generally attends the show and brings with him many early authentic and reproduced parts for the firewood collectors among us.

The replacement parts that John produces are often undistinguishable to even the eyes of experienced collectors.

And while I have to confess that I haven't paid attention to the font used, the decals he has brought in the past look like the originals.

Sargeguy

It's relatively easy to make a water slide decal in black, but these decals require a gold background which would require a special printer like an ALPS.  There are places that will do it.  My problems are:

1) Finding an intact original that can be scanned, or one that can be fixed up relatively easily on the computer

2) Creating a vector file with different layers

I was hoping someone already did the work and would like to sell a few.  I will try John.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dsk

Quote from: TelePlay on October 26, 2013, 06:35:59 AM
Quote from: dsk on October 26, 2013, 03:07:51 AM

dsk

Are you using an ink jet or a laser jet color printer?

Canon LBP 5050n Color Laser

dsk

DavePEI

Hi All:

If anyone perfects printing decals using a laser, let me know. I have something I would like duplicated and have a really good scan of it...

see:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9597.0

I need a couple of theses - it is of a 1958 Telephone Service decal I got in the batch of teletype stuff last spring - alas the original decal was badly cracked and fell apart when I tired to apply it, but fortunately, I did do the scan of it first.

If I can get them duplicated, they will be going on the door to and the window of the museum's workshop visible to museum visitors.

I did try to get it done commercially, but no-one wants to do less than 100 of them, and want a fortune...

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Sargeguy

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

That's about the best example I have.  I had to unscrew it from the wall. :-\
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Jim Stettler

Gary Goff used to sell repro decals.  I don't which styles he has but ISTR they are reasonably priced. I don't have Gary's contact info. Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

G-Man

Quote from: Jim S. on October 27, 2013, 11:33:25 AM
Gary Goff used to sell repro decals.  I don't which styles he has but ISTR they are reasonably priced. I don't have Gary's contact info. Jim

Gary and the aforementioned others will be attending the NorCal telephone show in San Jose on November 9th.

If Greg is unable to attend he may be able to have someone who is to pick some of them up for him.

Last year Paul Wills, Remco and some other east coasters attended.

MDK

Here is a similar design using modern fonts. I suppose with a little tweaking it could look more authentic. Something like this shouldn't be hard to reproduce on a decal.

dsk

Its quite a job to find the right fonts.
This one is made with: FRANKLIN GOTIC DEMI and Verdana.
The lines dont look right, and to get the right shape, I had to re-size the picture by compressing the height.

At least something to work on, I hope.

Oops spelling isn't easy >:(

dsk