and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 124 Common Battery Wall Phone variant

Started by Sargeguy, October 29, 2013, 11:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

Antique Old Wall Phone Shabby

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141103329456

One man's shabby is another man's chic!  This is a Western Electric 124.  I've never seen one with the switch arrangement like an apartment phone.  Looks like something was removed from the side.  Should be an interesting challenge to get working again.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

poplar1

I've seen 293-type sets modified this way, and marked "293-A Special." There was a buzzer mounted externally on the right side of your phone.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Sargeguy

I have one of those 293As, so I should've realized.   Another thing that occurred to me looking at the photos is that there was a button under where the buzzer was.  The wires are coming through the hole now, but originally went throught the two smaller holes.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Dave

Sargeguy

I thought it was behind the switch, but I cannot tell for sure.  Here is what a 124A looks like inside:

Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Dave

Sargeguy

Phone arrived today.  Three coats of paint really add to it"s character and rustic charm.  I wiill look for a BSP while the Citristrip soaks in.  It is designated as a 293-J SPEC
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is another 293 J, this one is an actual 293 in oak:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321240336322
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

tallguy58

Cheers........Bill

Sargeguy

No.  It's a screw. :D

I'm not sure why it is there since the lock works just fine.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

TelePlay

And there is a matching screw hole in the case, and the back of the door. What does the lock catch on to hold it shut. Seems something is missing. Or is it just a groove in the case for the lock to catch?

Sargeguy

With this type of lock there is a gouge in the wood that the catches the brass tab when the key rotates.  About 50% of the time the wood is broken so there is nothing to catch, but it works fine on this phone. Maybe because it was screwed shut no one could bust it open.

Later phones have a screw that goes through the door and a metal nut thing that mounts on the inside of the phone.  It works much better.

The stripping is going slowly, the top two layer melted away but there is the stubborn bottom layer that is refusing to budge.  I have begun to uncover some patent dates, but have not found a Bell System disclaimer.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

OK I see what you mean, the 293J on eBay has a nail, mine has a screw at the top part of the door where the black circle is.

The gouge looks intact.  The owner probably didn't have a key and did not realize the lock can be opened and closed with a small screwdriver.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Sargeguy

Here is my 124A/293J SPECIAL all stripped:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409