"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Gray Toaster

Started by LarryInMichigan, February 09, 2013, 11:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: poplar1 on February 10, 2013, 05:48:50 PM
When you get to the dial, I'm wondering what the part number is for the number plate, and whether the plate was made by WE or Connecticut.

On WE phones they have either numbers and letters (164A); or are black with white dots for 5302s, white with dots (for clear finger wheels), or just white (for black pay phones). Never saw a 164-type with only numerals.

The back of the dial plate has "164B-1-56" stamped on the rear.  The dial is a model 6A.  The dial and the top side of the finger wheel were painted with gray paint to match the phone housing.  The paint job does not look entirely professional.

Larry

Jester

Poplar1,

The earliest 6A I have seen was dated 1952, and the dial plates were specially made to fit, were made with both rural & metro numbering systems-- complete with a Z under the 0.  Around 1954, the 164 plate was introduced, which not only fit the 6 series, but would retrofit dials 2-5.  The back of the earlier plate was stamped 6A, to indicate the dial it was used on.  As Larry mentions above, his is clearly marked 164B-- a clear indication that WE reversed the meaning of these letters compared to the earlier plates.  These would also retrofit to earlier dials, just as the "A" plates would.
Stephen

LarryInMichigan

The plate does have slots so that it will fit a #5 dial also.  I have another 6A dial with a numbers-only plate, but I haven't looked at the back of that plate.

Larry

AE40FAN

Hey Larry,

For the peroxide treatment make sure you don't go over 20 percent as 40 is too strong.  You need heat, as well as, UV for faster results.  90 minutes tops on a hot sunny day.  Also, to thicken the peroxide you can poor it in an open tupperware  container and let it "breathe" for up to a day.  I find it globs on better that way. 

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 09, 2013, 11:22:06 PM
When I finally opened it, I found the phone in a brown paper grocery bag upside down in the box with the handset next to it.  Amazingly, no damage apparently resulted.

Larry

I was holding my breath reading this, glad it miraculously survived.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on February 10, 2013, 05:28:30 PM
I have just proven that at least some of the brown is from tobacco.  If I give a quick rub to the plastic with a 12000 grit MicroMesh pad,  the plastic emits a strong, disgusting tobacco smell, and the plastic lightens a bit.

Larry

I was just going to say that the brown may be from tobacco, so I would start with giving all the plastic parts a good soaking in Oxiclean. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

LarryInMichigan

I did give the handset a soaking in Oxiclean, but the tobacco has permeated the upper layers of the plastic.  I also tried oven cleaner with very limited success.  Sanding will likely be necessary.

Larry

LarryInMichigan

I finally reassembled the gray toaster last night.  I managed to remove most of the discoloration, sanded out some of the scratches, and gave the plastic a polishing.  I shortened the handset cord where it was broken near the handset and reversed the curls to make it tighter.  I had to seriously grind out the inner diameter of the dial opening with a sanding drum attachment with a rotary tool to be able to put the dial back into it.  I also ground out the insides of the holes for the plungers with another rotary tool attachment so that the plungers would move freely.

The phone looks pretty good now and works well, but the handset cord is too short for the phone to be comfortably usable. If I pull the handset more than 10 inches or so from the phone, the phone slides on the desk.  Also, there is a tear in the outside cover of the cord about an inch (coiled) from the handset which I covered with electrical tape.  I do not want to shortn the cord any further.  Does anyone know where I can get a fat gray handset cord?

Larry

Dennis Markham

The phone looks really nice Larry.  Nice job.  Maybe the cord will be fine for display and eventually a cord will come along.

Nick in Manitou

LarryInMichigan

Thank you Dennis and Nick.  The cord will have to suffice for now.

I am coming close to finishing my latest gray phone project: ebay link.  The shell color is almost back to light gray now.  Keep tuned.

Larry

unbeldi

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 05, 2013, 01:50:41 PM
I finally reassembled the gray toaster last night.

Does anyone know where I can get a fat gray handset cord?

It looks gorgeous now!

I wouldn't worry about the cord length too much, unless you want to use it everyday. It's original now. Size doesn't always matter...

AE40FAN

Larry, looks great...well worth the 27.50!!

Doug Rose

I picked up a Metal Connecticut/Signal Corps with a Federal dial this weekend. Cleaned up like a dream. All original paint ...everything original except the line cord, it was cut off. You don't see these very often compared to the toasters. This is such a cool phone. AND HEAVY!! ...Doug
Kidphone

davidbholcomb

Stunning telephone Doug and I love the way the "toaster" turned out.
Dave, who still needs a Transmitter Bracket for the Automatic Electric Type 38 Handset.