News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Forum Software Update

Started by Dennis Markham, December 21, 2013, 07:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

There is a feature that will have new personal messages "pop up" if one is logged-in when the message is sent.  Works well.

It's under Profile>Modify Profile>Personal Messaging

AE_Collector

It looks as though Dave is working on adding PM's to the info box. That will be nice to have everything there to check when first logging in.  Someone tell Dave to take it easy for a few days!

Terry

Dave Zemens

I love a challenge Terry. It took me a while to figure out - deep in the code - how to add a module to show private messages in that top header login area. I'll have it done by nights end and have it looking good, too!
Dave Zemens
1955 Design | Rochester, Michigan
Website Design & Development
Custom WordPress Themes & Plugins

AE_Collector

That's great Dave though take a bit of down time over the next few days. Someone buy Dave a coffee! I know what oyu mean with loving a challenge though not with ANYTHING to do with IT for me!

We appreciate ALL of your "Over the Top" efforts here!

Terry

Dave Zemens

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 24, 2013, 04:30:51 PM
It looks as though Dave is working on adding PM's to the info box. That will be nice to have everything there to check when first logging in.
Finished! The private message indicator is now in the info box at the top right. Everything is in one spot!
Dave Zemens

DavePEI

Quote from: Dave Zemens on December 24, 2013, 08:19:55 PM
It looks as though Dave is working on adding PM's to the info box. That will be nice to have everything there to check when first logging in.
Finished! The private message indicator is now in the info box at the top right. Everything is in one spot!
Hi Gave:

Looks good. Just one little thing I notice that we had before and don't have now, but it is something that should be way down the list... Our Global Moderators used to show up in a different colour from normal members and now only the Admins do. Not that it makes much difference :)

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave Zemens

Quote from: DavePEI on December 24, 2013, 08:24:06 PM
Looks good. Just one little thing I notice that we had before and don't have now, but it is something that should be way down the list... Our Global Moderators used to show up in a different colour from normal members and now only the Admins do. Not that it makes much difference :)
Dave: Can you explain more clearly what colors you are referring to as I am not familiar enough with the old theme to know what you mean.
Dave Zemens

DavePEI

Quote from: Dave Zemens on December 24, 2013, 09:30:39 PM
Quote from: DavePEI on December 24, 2013, 08:24:06 PM
Dave: Can you explain more clearly what colors you are referring to as I am not familiar enough with the old theme to know what you mean.
Hi Dave:

It used to be that the moderators and global moderators would show in blue, while admins in red, and normal users in black at the bottom of the page in the user list, and in a number of other places. Now admins show red, and the moderators, global moderators and users all show as the same colours... For example in the list below, both Teleplay and myself are G. Moderators.

Also as in the next image, the Global Moderator used to be highlighted in colour... Excuse me, Terry for using yours as an example.....

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Dave Zemens

Weird. Moderators show as bright blue when I am viewing the page as in the image below.
Dave Zemens

Dave Zemens

I tweaked the code a bit more and moderators now show as a brighter blue on the bottom of the page. Let me know if that looks OK to you!
Dave Zemens

DavePEI

Quote from: Dave Zemens on December 24, 2013, 10:05:03 PM
I tweaked the code a bit more and moderators now show as a brighter blue on the bottom of the page. Let me know if that looks OK to you!

Hi Dave:

That looks good now... I hate mentioning these little things - not exactly important  :)

Thanks,

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

Wouldn't the persons color on that "Users Online" thing have matched the color on the left side of posts below their user name? The 5 colored boxes. Admin is red there and Global Moderators are blue. The rest of the colors relate to number of posts I presume, Hero Member etc. Would sort of be nice if the colors matched in each place though as Dave says, really not a big deal.

Terry

AE_Collector

Quote from: Dave Zemens on December 24, 2013, 08:19:55 PM

That works great for me Dave and looks good as well. Thanks.

I quoted this previous post that already had a quote in it to illlistrate what it looks like when there are multiple levels of quotes in a message. The new software makes it look pretty good and relatively easy to follow but I wonder if it is neccesary to keeep adding more and more levels of quotes within a message. Some other forums automatically drop the oldest quote when a message with a quote in it already is again quoted. Is this a simple setting to accomplish? I don't think tha tmultiple levels of quotes are very often neccesary.

On a related subject, is it possible to have both a "quote" and a "reply" button on the top right of each post? Currently there is just the "quote" button on each post which leads to many unneccesary quotes of previous messages in new messages. There is only a straight "reply" button at the bottom of each page of posts and after the most recent post. PM messages DO have a "quote" and a "reply" button on each message.

Terry

Dave Zemens

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 25, 2013, 02:29:42 AM
On a related subject, is it possible to have both a "quote" and a "reply" button on the top right of each post? Currently there is just the "quote" button on each post which leads to many unneccesary quotes of previous messages in new messages. There is only a straight "reply" button at the bottom of each page of posts and after the most recent post. PM messages DO have a "quote" and a "reply" button on each message.
This is an interesting idea. After thinking about it for a bit and tinkering with the backend code I can't quite figure out how to do it, to be honest with you.

I did read up on the concept a bit at the Simple Machines forum and one school of thought on the matter suggest that having a "Reply" button on each post would suggest to many users that they were replying to that particular post itself and not to the thread in general. In fact, I think that some other software for forums actually has threaded comments that can flow below a particular post and not as a generic component of the thread itself.

So, to me, it might not be the best idea. But be that as it may, I can't figure out how to do it anyway!
Dave Zemens

Mr. Bones

Quote from: AE_Collector on December 25, 2013, 02:29:42 AM
<snip>I wonder if it is necessary to keep adding more and more levels of quotes within a message. I don't think that multiple levels of quotes are very often necessary.</snip>
Terry
It is, in fact, not very often necessary. I'll happily post a tutorial on editing replies down to the essentials, should anyone wish it so.

Best regards, Terry, Sir!!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus