News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE 302 Ringer Bracket (and similar) Removal

Started by Scotophor, February 21, 2014, 04:31:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotophor

Does anyone have a relatively safe method to remove the ringer bracket from a WE 302 base, for replacement of the rubber shock mount material? The tubular-riveted studs appear unique, so of course I wouldn't want to drill them out if it could be avoided. Can they be gently drift-punched or pressed out so as to "unroll" the roll crimp, then re-crimped in place afterward? I have a proper tool to re-form the crimp, as well as a drill press that can be used for squeezing in case I wouldn't want to crimp them back on by hammering.

Has anyone even attempted such removal (or similar) before, successful or not? If consensus is that it can't be done without damaging the studs or the phone base, is there perhaps another way to "fake it" when reassembling after drilling the studs out, such as somehow making the one-piece mounting studs into something that instead becomes two-piece, using ordinary tubular rivets for attachment? Such a conversion might then be able to be hidden by the ringer mounting bracket and rubber. Also, what does the original rubber look like? Are there just o-rings below and above, or are they really grommets? If grommets, are they custom or are they a standard size that's still available (or close enough to one)?
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

TelePlay

For what it's worth, this was a work around I did some time ago which gave me a good, but not perfectly original restoration, fix to missing bracket grommets. Once the ringer is mounted, the grommets are hidden so when assembled, the fix can not be seen and the ringer has good resonance.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6853.msg78533#msg78533

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=6853.msg78230#msg78230