News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Two Questions regarding my Automatic Electric AE 80 Desk Telephone

Started by Telephonemans Daughter, December 08, 2012, 11:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telephonemans Daughter

Hello all!  I'm new to the forums and have been reading them for about a month now.  Before starting this post, I first searched to see if I could find an answer already posted but found nothing for this make/model.  I came close with one response but it was a wall phone for this brand.

I'm new to the collecting phones and cleaning them up, so any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I bought an Automatic Electric Northlake Il desktop phone off of ebay.  

Question #1 - It both calls out and receives calls, but there was no ring when I tested it.  After I opened her up and rang through again, I noticed that the hammer between the bells was indeed vibrating, just barely though, like it wasn't getting enough juice.  I'm not sure what the model of this is though.  

Here is the picture of the back

And here is the front

Question #2 - I can't figure out how to remove the dial plate.  It doesn't have the "hole" on the dial plate to put a pin in like you would on other desktop phones (which I have others and have removed them all with no problems).  I really examined this one and I cannot figure out how you remove this one.  I will say this about this phone, it has a really cool way of popping off the complete dial head without screws.  I found that really nice, but dang this dial plate.  I want to clean this baby up and don't want to crack this thing.

Any help on getting the ringing to ring and the dial plate off would be greatly appreciated.   :)
"Hello, Hello, the Telephone Man says Hello."  This was how my dad always greeted you when he called.

AE_Collector

Welcome to the rotary forum!

AE 80 desk phone in ebony black. It was made by AE in Chicago Illinois in June 1968.

Most likely a frequency ringer based on your comments so far. We need a picture of the ringer.

Does the number card appear to be stuck onto the outside or is it under the finger wheel? The newest type finger wheels are screwed on with a sticker type number card over the screw. If not then it should have a pin hole release betweer the 5 and the 6.

Terry

stub

Telephonemans Daughter ,
                         Welcome to the CRPF!!!!!!!    Your phone is a AE 80 and came without a ringer ( XX at the last of code ) and probably has a frequency ringer installed for party line ringing. Here 's a pic of the two at the base-  Top is a frequency ringer and the bottom is a straight line ringer. See if ringer has a tag on it that shows the frequency number ( 33 ~ ). Some can be made to work as the ringer cycles is 20 ~ . If you can't tell what ringer you have just post a pic and some of us will tell you.
                            Your fingerwheel has a screw in the center of dial under the stick on dial card.
                            Nice find !!!!!!!!   stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Telephonemans Daughter

Quote from: stub on December 09, 2012, 12:02:42 AM
Telephonemans Daughter ,
                         Welcome to the CRPF!!!!!!!    Your phone is a AE 80 and came without a ringer ( XX at the last of code ) and probably has a frequency ringer installed for party line ringing. Here 's a pic of the two at the base-  Top is a frequency ringer and the bottom is a straight line ringer. See if ringer has a tag on it that shows the frequency number ( 33 ~ ). Some can be made to work as the ringer cycles is 20 ~ . If you can't tell what ringer you have just post a pic and some of us will tell you.
                            Your fingerwheel has a screw in the center of dial under the stick on dial card.
There is no "number card" ... as you can see from the picture I posted, the numbers are part of the black dial face outside of the wheel.  The finger wheel freely dials, it's just dirty and I can't figure out how to take it off to clean it.  I didn't think to remove the decal and look under it.  I will do that and clean that baby up.  Thanks!

Yes, my ringer is listed as 33.3~.2

Mine aren't stacked like yours, they're lying sideways.  I'll try to take a good pic tomorrow and post it.

Thanks!  
"Hello, Hello, the Telephone Man says Hello."  This was how my dad always greeted you when he called.

stub

Telephonemans Daughter ,
                               I put one ringer on the other for comparison, cause I'm too lazy to take the other out of phone. ;D
                                 If we can help let us know.  stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Greg G.

Quote from: Telephonemans Daughter on December 09, 2012, 12:15:35 AM
Quote from: stub on December 09, 2012, 12:02:42 AM
... Your fingerwheel has a screw in the center of dial under the stick on dial card.
There is no "number card" ... as you can see from the picture I posted, the numbers are part of the black dial face outside of the wheel.  The finger wheel freely dials, it's just dirty and I can't figure out how to take it off to clean it.  I didn't think to remove the decal and look under it.  

Thanks!  

Hi Telephonemans Daughter

Welcome to the forum and to a very fun (and addictive) hobby!  

"Number card" or "Dial Card" refers to the round piece of paper in the center of the dial that contains the phone number and/or other stuff.  They are mounted in a variety of ways depending on the make and vintage of the phone.  Some of them are a phone-related collecting niche by themselves:  http://www.oldphoneman.com/Partsdailgif.htm.  The "dial face" (dial bezel) on your phone is mounted to the dial by three small screws that you will see once you get the finger wheel off.  (And if it's like all my phones, the smaller the screw, the stronger the magnetic attraction is to the floor!)

In this case, the number/dial card is a sticker over the screw that holds the finger wheel in place.  Unfortunately, you may have to destroy the number/dial card to get the finger wheel off.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

I have cleaned these successfully when I am lazy using an alcohol dipped q-tip run under the dial. The only advantage to that is saving the dial card, but you can get a better cleaning removing the finger wheel.

Just peel off the number card, and unscrew the screw in the center of the dial as Briny shows in the photo he posted.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

teka-bb

Quote from: DavePEI on December 09, 2012, 05:57:38 AM
as Briny shows in the photo above.

Hi Dave,

I've ticked the box of the option ' Show most recent posts at the top. ' in my CRP forum profile.
This means Briny's photo is below and not above on my screen.

I find it easier to see the most recent posts at the top but guess that's a matter of personal preference.  Just wanted to point out the option to other forum users.
=============================================
Regards,

Remco, JKL Museum of Telephony Curator

JKL Museum of Telephony: http://jklmuseum.com/
TCI Library: http://www.telephonecollectors.info/

dsk

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Those frequency ringers are some odd solution, not used anymore. It is still hope, it may be adjusted to ring by moving the weight (The hammer) and loosening the screws holding the metal sheet spring. In addition it may be needed to put in another capacitor, real fetteling, and no warranty.

dsk