News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bakelite Corp. in Chicago

Started by MagicMo, May 27, 2013, 12:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MagicMo

Just curious, found this today. I thought bakelite corp was only in New Jersey.
Thanks,
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

Mr. Bones

Quote from: MagicMo on May 27, 2013, 12:56:29 PM
Just curious, found this today. I thought bakelite corp was only in New Jersey.
Thanks,
Mo

Mo,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bakelite

The Bakelite Corporation was formed in 1922 (after patent litigation favorable to Baekeland) from a merger of three companies: the General Bakelite Company, which Baekeland founded in 1910, the Condensite Company, founded by J.W. Aylesworth, and the Redmanol Chemical Products Company, founded by L.V. Redman.[6] A factory was built near Bound Brook, New Jersey, in 1929.[7]

In 1939 the companies were acquired by Union Carbide and Carbon Corporation. Union Carbide's phenolic resin business including the Bakelite and Bakelit registered trademarks are owned by Momentive Specialty Chemicals.

Perhaps this item was produced after the buyout. My guess is the new owners needed to increase output, to meet demand, so opened new production facilities? Just a guess, but makes good business sense.

The wartime demand for production was phenomenal, and the post-war demand for consumer goods was unparalleled.

By the way, what is the object in question? It kind of looks like a trivet for a coffee percolator? Hard to tell, from one picture...but I am curious.

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

MagicMo

Thanks for the info. Not sure what it is. Fits in my hand, ashtray perhaps?
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

Mr. Bones

A coaster, perhaps? No butt-rests for ciggies... Again, just a guess...
Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

gpo706

Quote from: MagicMo on May 27, 2013, 01:58:39 PM
Thanks for the info. Not sure what it is. Fits in my hand, ashtray perhaps?
Mo

Could be an ashtray, or just a sample?
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

LarryInMichigan

It looks to me like something that would have been given out at trade shows to advertise for the company.

Larry

Phonesrfun

For anyone who has ever cleaned ash trays before, this would not make a good ash tray because the bottom inside has the embossed letters and the circular ridge.  An ashtray needs to be smooth inside for ease of cleaning.  Otherwise the ashes cake onto all those ridges and nooks and crannies.

I don't smoke, but I have cleaned my share of ashtrays.  My dad was a smoker, and as a teen, I was a busboy in a restaurant, back in the day when all restaurants were smoky.

-Bill G

Greg G.

I vote coaster but it's a little hard to tell the size from your pic.  Put your coffee mug in it and see if it fits.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

I say it is a pigeon for skeet shooting ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jim Stettler

You live, You learn,